This isnt normal...or is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

welsh

In Runtime
hey, i got a friend who has a Intel Pentium 4, 2400 MHz, and its running about 42c on idle and about 50 under full load of a game. Im thinking this a bit hot, i suggested for him to take the side of the case off and that dropped it a bit, he doesnt have a front intake fan, im thinking that would help drop the temperature down a bit. Also a pentium 4 is a socket 775 right? (incase he gets a new front intake fan) But is it just cause his computer is old that it runs at such a high temperature, like my new cpu (X2 3800+ runs about 36 idle). Any help with any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

42c, thats a great idle temp for a pentium and 50c under load is about average, the amd 64's have cool and quiet technology thats y urs is cooler

Adding a second fan to draw air in would help with the circualtion. While you have the case open do a little house cleaning, blow it out with a can of air, vacume the dust bunnies..., this will also help.

AMD's new CPU's just use less voltage than the older P4's. It's just basically newer better technology. Also not all of AMD's CPU's have Cool&Quiet enabled.

Theyoyokid303 said:
intels run hotter than amds that why amds are better for ocing

That's: a)not true b)extremely generalized. :confused:

Your friends Intel CPU probably has a Prescott core. Prescotts had a nack for running hotter than it's competitors and its predescors(sp?). If it is confirmed to be a Prescott, then those temps are fine.

Prescotts came in skt478 at release, and later went to skt775. A front intake fan will not depend on what socket the CPU is.

I know a front intake fan wont depend on what the socket is, i was just making sure the cpu is a socket 775 so i can give him the option of getting a new CPU cooler, the adding a front intake fan was another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom