Dual Core processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taff

Beta member
Hi, at the moment I have a P4 3.2Ghz processor.

I'm thinking of buying a AM2 X2 Dual Core 4600+ socket AM2 AMD64 Bit Technology which is 2.4Ghz. So will this be an improvement because I have no idea about how dual core systems work, so from a 3.2Ghz to a 2.4Ghz sounds like a downgrade.

if you want dual core have a look at intels new line of cpus. They are alot better than their amd counterparts

I doubt it will seem like a downgrade, ghz isn't everything these days look at other factors like cache

tb

it's not all about speed, it's about architecture. the 4600+ will be a huge advantage over a P4 3.2, and if you not completely satisfied(i don't see why you wouldn't be) you could always overclock.

timblanchard said:
if you want dual core have a look at intels new line of cpus. They are alot better than their amd counterparts

At least tell him what processors you are talking about here.:rolleyes:

Taff, what he should have recommended was the Core 2 Duo's from Intel, not Intel in general. The Pentium D's are crap, so stay away from those. From a 3.2Ghz P4 to that A64 4600+, you will notice a nice boost in performance.

i recommend an intel core 2 duo they will outpreform any amd processor especially when over clocked. even with the low end Core 2 Duos you can outprefrom almost any amd processor.

to more accurate explain an answer

:D

If you never plan to upgrade your os and want to stick with old software, a "faster" single core cpu is the chip for you.

If you wish to be a consumer that always advances with tech, get a dual core.

A chip can only best offer it's capabilities from the software. If you have an OS that doesn't do anything with multi cpus, than you have nothing. By that same token, some supplemental apps utilize single core processing. A new os like Vista, could theoretically push multi cpu processing within single core apps, giving you a boost regardless of the apps limitation.

Also, we (consumers and companies) are transitioning from 32 to 64 bit computing...though agonizingly slow. A newer chip tends to be 64bits regardless of core number, so that will also help, and again limited by supporting software.

Use my car theory....

Like cars and the roadways of life....

You can buy a fast turbo charged car and drive it 40 mph ALL the time but if you do that ALL the time, it's pointless...or fairly so. However, if you buy that 0-80 in 5 sports car and do plan to take it out onto the interstate and expressways....then it's not too bad an investment. ;)

oh yeah...and back to chips. By the time you decide, Quad core cpus/mobos will be out to support those quad gpu set ups:beard: [november - in 2 months ppl!...time to markets factored in]

It's a crazy tech world with no slow lanes:p

Ive decided to go conroe myself. Intels C2D line is just the better procesor right now. Go with an e6400, it's about the same price as the 4600 and performs between a 4600 and 5000 stock. If you overclock the e6400 you can surpass anything AMD currently has out, and with stock cooling. I would get an e6400 if i had the extra cash, but im going with an e6300. Heres a comparoson between conroes and Athlonx2s.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=1

did you say quad core cpu's in November? lemme know about that.

Thanks for the replys, looks like I'll go with dual core. Thanks for clearing everything up for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom