Music Junkies... Connecting a Line 6 Amp to a SB LIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oo DaRk StAr oO

Baseband Member
So I have an SB Live 5.1 Value (yes old school!) and I have a Line 6 Flextone II Plus with MIDI outputs. I was wondering if you of you guys knew a good interface maybe like MIDI to USB and also at that point would it be just like a raw input that I could record using a generic program?

Thanks
Matt

hey dark,
well, i suggest you hang out at the audio forums cuz from what i've seen there aren't too many music enthusiasts here. if you wanna record, get rid of the soundblaster. get an audiophile 24/96. that flextone is a guit modeling amp that only uses midi for dumps and the like. midi has nothing to do w/ guitar unless you have one of those horrible midi enabled guitars but just stay away from those. if you don't care about sound just get a line 6 guitar port and a low end sequencer and you're good to go. you can also use an rp2000 or other rp series amp models as your interface to your sound card. u can also just plug directly into your sound card for some horrific sounds. either way, that "generic program" u're talkin bout is a sequencer/multitrack program. that's where u use midi, edit, track, and hear your sounds via your sound card. sonar is a favoritie.
have fun!

on a low budget wanting decent sound...

Can you give me a list of htings id need to start doing basic recording. Nothing to fancy just so I wont forget my stuff and so I can mix in mutiple tracks.

Matt

Hey matt,
Alright first u need a sequencer...Cakewalk Home stuido is excellent for beginners and even beyond. Its just over 80 bones.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...45217734229/g=rec/s=software/content/cb/index
Next u'll have to have a decent sound card. The best quality cheap sound card is the Auidophile 24/96 MAudio Midiman. Quality card for under 150 bones.

Lastly u need an interface, just something w/ a guitar input and a line out w/ a DAC/ADC that you can feed to your sound card. The POD is excellent but might be kinda outta your price range....like another 150 bones, i think. Just get any digital guitar modeling amp...they're out there.

i hope that was good enough

well, acutally, as long as your sound card has a line in that you can plug in from your guit interface (i.e. POD) and you don't care too much bout sound quality, that SB should serve u well. Getting a POD or any interface will not make the sound better if you have a crappy sound card. You can have the best equipment in the world but w/ out a good sound card to record it won't mean jack!
The POD is specifically designed to work w/ your computer. You use that in lieu of any other external amplifier. It emulates all the guitar sounds you might want. The sequencer will just propell that and give you a million more options to edit and tweak.

mmm...well, that's like direct recording. analog amps are not the best to record w/ but if u just want to record em to remember...yeah, u can. most people mic up their amps.its just about quality. if you like your amp's sound, it'll sound a bit different going through all the conversions and it loses its sound quality. but as long as u have your sequencer, u can touch it up a bit w/ sum fx.

I think I am going to grab a POD then. Ive been reading on it and its USB and easy to use. Then I will use Cakewalk to pay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom