Will dual core be faster than this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nitestick said:
well if i recall correctly even the Pentium D 820 (2.8ghz) beat the FX-57 in encoding quite soundly. the Pentium D 805 will be considerably better than anything you have listed even using only one core. using a multi-threaded encoder there is no contest. this would be quite a good upgrade choice. it is 2.66ghz by the way.
teh fx57 is single core and it isnt a multi tasking cpu it is more a gamming cpu

I'd suggest Dual-Core, yes. At the very least, it'd make the computer a great multitasker.

What? Link. A low end cpu claiming to beat a high end AMD cpu is quite a bold claim without backup.

the FX-57 would have a p-rating that calculates to roughly 4700+ i think. given that the Prescott core has always been quite good at encoding (Smithfield is two Prescott cores) and that the 820 is 2x2.8ghz cores is it really that hard to believe? i shall try to find some benchmarks if you need more proof

(forgive me gaara)

When you cluster computers theres a fat bottleneck with networking. You can't just add the processors up, what you could do is add the processors up, and divide by 5. That would give you a more accurate depiction of the speed of the cluster. Clusters are mostly used for HUGE calculations and for redundancy.

When you cluster computers theres a fat bottleneck with networking.
You are forgiven, but I think you used the term correctly assuming you're talking about the networking throughput versus the throughput of all the computers combined. Networking + memory are the only two areas that are bottlenecks

single core 2.8ghz CPU? no thanks.....it's great..but not enough by todays standards
It's still fast by todays standards whether you like it or not. Perhaps not worth the pricetag, but fast nonetheless. FX-57 will still stomp over most everything predating Core (2) save for a few situations

But yes, the dual core will be faster for a variety of reasons already outlined. Memory bandwidth wasn't mentioned but it will be a few times faster than any RD/SDRAM associated with any of those computers. That doesn't even include the memory size, 128mb and 256mb are way too small to be swapping big video files around with

A 3800+ would probably be a better choice than a P-D though and if you've got say $500 floating around you are strongly recommended to look into an E6300

It's fast...don't get me wrong..I had a 3700+ OC'd to 2.9 ghz and it was great...but for multicore games it's no comparison with my current CPU.

And it's no comparison to conroe....

Technology seems to be advancing faster though...in the past the newest CPU would make everything else obsolete.....nowadays the newest CPU stomps everything else...but that doesn't make the other things slower...they are still plenty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom