kinda expensive building a comp, aye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankbandit

Baseband Member
this is a great forum by the way....

so, i'm building a computer cuz, for one, i find it very interesting and cuz i thought i'd be saving money and i wouldn't have to support such disgusting companies like dell or gateway. but it seems like its as expensive if not a little more to build your own computer. as i cont' to buy part after part, i don't think i'm saving anything!
i'm getting good deals on newegg.com and frys electronics but i dunno....is this just the way it goes. i'm building a middle of the road computer...not low end and not high end.

cheers!

actually dude u r saving money...when building a comp. If you run down on what comp companies put in ur comp, it actually costs way less. Take it from a person that was bout to buy a comp for 2k CDN:p ended up getting a machine for 1500:D CDN.

It only seems like you're paying more because you actually are choosing good parts for your pc and you've got control. When you buy from gateway or any of the others you're getting what they want to give you, which may or may not be what they're even advertising. Read the fine print of any of these "major" brands and you'll see a little disclaimer that basically gives them the control to ultimately give you a crappy deal if they otherwise have the need at the time.

I have a buddy who bought a gateway last year. He spent 900 dollars on it after shipping. You know what? It's a total piece of garbage. He's got a big bulky monitor, he has a slow processor, and 128 mb of ram, a 10g hd and a slow cdr. I recently built a machine that way surpasses that and for only 500 bucks.

blankbandit,

Go to dell.com look for the XPS system. When they were offering the XPS system with 3.2 processor i always had it in my mind that i was going to buy it some day.
Then i thought about it and just set my mind to build my own pc. I built just about the same thing as dell offers with BETTER parts and the choice of upgrading later on by changing processors and video for 1500.00 LESS then what Dell is asking for that XPS system.
Its a much bettter deal to build your own computer. If you buying dell/gateway/compaq/hp/sony you are just buying the name and thats what cost.

So far i have 1700.00 invested in my computer and i must say that i have never built a nice machine like this before because of the cost and not being able to sell for much of a profit so i built this one as my baby project just to get a nice feel for power.

I cant kill this computer unless i throw water in it..lol

Need anything more feel free to ask but i think i have explained very clearly why you should build your own pc.

Later

hey,
yeah, but that's what i'm comparing it to, actually, a gateway!
i'm on a gateway right now. bought it in 2002 for, like, 1200 or something like that brand new:
40 gig WD hdd
flat screen lcd monitor
cd/rw drive
Intel Pent 4 1.9ghz
and peripherals-monitor, mouse, etc
now, comparably, an intel equivalent of today , costs a couple of hundred(bare in mind 1.9ghz was excellent in 2002)...and that's just the cpu!
another 85 for my mobo, 65 for a 40 gig hard drive-keep in mind that that is tiny today! i got a 40 gig w/ the gateway 2 years ago!
what i'm sayin is....that i'm building a decent system and it just seems like its comparable to this gateway that was made in 2002 but my new comp in 2004 seems like its costing me just as much....i haven't even gotten a graphics card, cd/rw drive, etc.
i haven't even gotten a monitor and who knows if it'll be an lcd. i'm going amd this time around ( which is fine, i know) mostly becuz going intel would throw me overboard on my pockets.
i dunno....i hear what u guys are sayin and i'm definitely having fun building but it just makes me wonder....price wise i don't know bout that

Let me know all you want to have in a computer and i will get my price for you and then we can compair prices because it can be the place your buying parts from that is bring cost up.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom