Laptop BSOD's when on battery power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
My Dell i9300 keeps getting a BSOD that it WILL NOT come out of when on battery power. It keeps saying random drivers are not working properly. What might be causing the problem? Would a bad battery do this?

can you attach a minidump for us to look at?

or atleast do you know what stop code you get on the BSOD?

Does the BSOD happen as soon as ou switch to battery power or is it after a random amount of time?

This doesn't happen randomly. It happens ANY time it's on battery power. If it's already running and I unplug the AC power, I get this same blue screen.

Picture021.jpg

Does the BSOD happen as soon as you switch to battery power or is it after a random amount of time?

Do you have SP2 installed?

look in the C:\windows\minidump folder and attach a few of your latest dmp files to your next post.

BSOD happens as soon as I switch to battery power.

It will still work in Safe Mode on battery power though.

SP2 is installed.

There are no files in the minidump folder. :confused:

MrCoffee said:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316676/en-us

apparently having SP1+ should fix... so I guess it must be some driver having a problem, could be difficult to pinpoint.

do you have a memory.dmp file in your windows directory? if its not massive post that up.
Well it's definitely SP2.

There was no memory.dmp in my Windows directory either.

I think I might try repair the OS using the repair via the Windows install disc.

if you think a windows file might be corrupt then use the SFC /SCANONCE command then reboot.
this checks out all the windows files and replaces then from backups if they fail a checksum.

Repaired the system files and it didn't work.

I think it might be my video driver. I'm using an ATI Omega driver, so I will try going back to a regular ATI driver. I think the problem is in when it makes the transition between AC and DC because clock frequencies and stuff changes to extend battery life.

Ah, sure enough. New driver fixed the problem. Thanks for tryin to help me out, MrCoffee. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom