Building myself a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes,

I see, it was supposed to be celeron. not P4. a typo.

My own preference for me to use is also Pentium 4.

ap

mikesgroovin said:
Not trying to point any fingers here....but I think that Merlin was referring to this post. P4 is not the same as a Celeron.....I realize that you know this caesar.....I'm just pointing out that perhaps there was a typo in your post....

moving right along...

I don't have high respects for any celeron processor, however, on the other side of the coin, I have built systems like this before that included similar processors (VIA C3, etc) for the sake of saving money for the client and they are still using them today (most were built about 2-4 years ago).
I personally, won't built another PC without an AMD (XP or better), Pentium IV, Xeon or Opteron ever again. Not worth the risk in lack of performance.

In future posts, (THIS IS INTENDED FOR ALL....NOT JUST ONE PERSON) please respect people's opinions.....if it's gets a little hot....start to PM the member rather than start a flame war.
Food for Thought.....

-Mike

Thank you for clearing that up;)

What yall think of my computer system? Im trying to get 40+ posts so i can offer it for sale in proper forum area.

I know very well my system is not a POS..lol

Far from it :D

*YourPrinter* and *caesar*

I politely asked everyone just a few posts ago NOT to turn this into a flame war. Your posts are distasteful, ignorant and disrespectful. They are going to be removed immediately. If you do not have anything halfway intelligent to say then please keep your arbitrary posts to yourself!

-Mike

P.S. I had a GREAT day and to top it off, I got a GREAT haircut...so, I'm in a good mood..... very fortunate for you! ;)

hi read your post and thought i would try to help also,I build all my own pc`s and I usually find very good deals on http://www.tigerdirect.com/ I recently sold my gigabyte motherboard and 2600+ athlon processor and 512 0f ddr 333 mhz ram with a geforce mx 440 video card on it,and bought two mercury mainboards with 1800 mhz processors on them and purchased two 5900se geforce video cards from EVGA,and I am much happier with them,while the processor lacks in cache,the video card makes up for,and my pc will run any game that I have with 4x antialiasing on with no problem and no noticeable difference in speed,but the video card was 199.00 a peice,but for the money i think it was worth it,but if your not going to play alot of high end games,a geforce 4 mx 440 64 meg or 128 card is very fast for the money but the one`s I had did not support shaders,but make sure if you get that one it is a pny card,stay away from XFX cards if you can ,they are cheaper for a reason lol,and I personaly would not recomend the 5200 geforce,not trying to knock anyones video card though,but I gave one of these cards away lol and it was brand new.as far as the processors go the new duron processors from 1.6 gig to 1.8 gigahertz now have a 266 front side bus,instead of a 200 fsb,so that helps alot,basically what a duron cpu is ,is an athlon processor that had to have some cache disabled because it was bad,that is according to the reading ive done on this.So basically what I am telling you is that before you buy anything research ,research,research lol,because the same video cards by different makers are not always the same video cards,and as far as processors go I think AMD cpus are just as good for less money(personal opinion only) but if you want to save money !!!!!!!and look for the motherboard combos on the website i posted,because they are much cheaper when you buy them in a combo,and they also have barebone kits also,if you want to build your own that is.Well I don`t know if my rambling has helped you at all lol but I was just trying to help you out if I could,becauseeveryone on here trys to help me out lol good luck

boomer,

TigerDirect has some good deals but i can beat them. You would need a federal Tax ID in order to get items from the company i get them from. email me what you need or would like to have and i can get prices for you.

Later

Which is only $10 I might add.... at least.....that's how much mine was. State Sales and Use tax was free. ;)

I just want to point something out, Celeron proc's are not at all bad, they lack maybe 10-20% performance, but the performance to a lot of people is irrelevant, also, as boomer said: a good video card will take off load from the CPU, and I very much expect that a Celeron with a good video card (like a Radeon 9600) will be more than enough to play HL2
although I would personally prefer P4's over celerons, I don't find them to be a bad CPU

for your computer: see if you can get what I posted before, but

a Radeon 9200 instead of a Radeon 9600, since you are not going to be gaming a lot, this video card will do you fine

and keep your speakers you're using now, I was unaware they were as new as 2 months old

*edit* hey kool, 2000 posts

Hi
I read your post and was wondering what you meant by
"while the processor lacks in cache,the video card makes up for" does this mean that the cache is used for video tasks most of the time. What about if you are trying to run some computationally intensive application.

i also wanted to know which manufacturers to avoid when buying video cards?

Soloman02 said:
you really do not want a maxtor drive. their low level formatting is bad( at least thats what i have heard) I would go with a western digital, or a seagate drive.

I have had more problems with WD than any other hdd. I have however had the opposite with Maxtor. And sygates drives, at least for ATA have extramly poor performance compaired to the other two brands. I havent had a maxtor die on me yet, if I changed hard drives it was to up the size. This is just in my exp, I am sure you will find out on your own after you use many diff brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom