Apple Cinema Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
so im dreaming today about the 30" apple display, looking through the galeries, tech specs, etc when i notice the responce time of 14ms. I was going to pursue this item on the next free site that i sign up for, but i was wondering some things...

first, would it just SUCK with games because of it's increadibley high resolution?

I have a 6800gt ultra w/ 2 DVI ports, thats what the min is right?

does windows support 2560 x 1600 resolution?

is 14ms response time a drawback.... because 30" is pretty big and nice to look at :)

thanks in advance

No it wouldn't, games look awesome in high-res, imagine the detail *drools*.

I'm sure windows does support that resolution, and 14ms response time shouldn't matter too much anything under 16ms is usually okay..

However there is a but, a pretty big but (lol), if you want to play games at a resolution that big, you're gonna need to upgrade your graphics card pretty significantly, most probably to Sli/Crossfire, otherwise you're looking at slideshow framerates.

The response time is less than desirable for games, but 8ms is perfectly fine for me so I don't really see 14ms being that big of a difference.

Windows supports 2560x1600, as long as your card has dual-link DVI.

If your card doesn't have dual-link DVI, then don't get this monitor unless you are getting a new video card too.

yeah... well it would take a while to get 2500 prizepoints and get the monitor off prizebook... so by then i'll be all upgraded and stuff to g80 or SLI

that would be absolutally tight to get it.... i think if i get to 2k prizepoints and i can buy the 23" might as well go all out and get 500 more for the 30"

LU4sTrooper said:
No it wouldn't, games look awesome in high-res, imagine the detail *drools*.

I'm sure windows does support that resolution, and 14ms response time shouldn't matter too much anything under 16ms is usually okay..

However there is a but, a pretty big but (lol), if you want to play games at a resolution that big, you're gonna need to upgrade your graphics card pretty significantly, most probably to Sli/Crossfire, otherwise you're looking at slideshow framerates.

which is why i am debating saving up all my prizepoints for this.... How many games go past 1280x1024? I already have trouble getting it past that, or are there ways to get it up to something like 1600x1200 (because i have seen a lot of benchmarks with this resolution) and beyond

EDIT: ha.. just realized that this is the only desk i can afford that would accomidate for this new 21" x 27" (30" diagonal) monitor, subwoofer, my huge 21" high thermaltake tower, and still not look totally messy is THIS DESK... found it for 180, 250 shipped so might as well go with this site... much more legit

stupid huge monitor that i want so bad... :mad:

most games go to at least 1600x1200...

heres my question though to people with such huge displays: how do you play games on it? Do you have a wireless kboard + mouse? I cant imagine sitting in front of a 30in display like I would at a 19 or 20 inch :s

lol good point... never thought of that

my eyes are at least 4 feet away from my monitor so i think i could get away with it......

my 16ms monitor is perfectly fine for gaming, so a 14 would not be a problem

i'm sooooo going to buy either that 30, 23, or even 20" monitor... somehow 20" seems smaller now :-\

only drawback is how im going to fit it on my desk ;)

I just cant imagine....... 2560 x 1600............

wow

95% of games support 2560x1600. You just need to edit some config files.

In Quake 3 based games:

Code:
r_customheight "1600"
r_customwidth "2560"
r_mode "-1"
vid_restart

In Doom 3 based games (with updates ;)):

Code:
r_customheight "1600"
r_customwidth "2560"
r_customaspect "2"
vid_restart