Help with new CPU Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

In Runtime
hi guys,

I've got a bit of a problem with a new CPU Cooler I bought, its an Akasa AK827 copper base cooler to AMD XP3400+

Now, recently I've just got one of my lower-spec PC's hooked up to the Internet in my bedroom, however, because its rather old it sounds like a hoover when you fire it up. Here's the spec:

Mobo: A7V266-E
AMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.47Ghz (Socket A)
1GB RAM
Geforce3 Ti 200 Graphics Card
CD-RW
DVD-ROM etc etc...

Now, either I'm just totally stupid, or the fan genuinely isn't compatible for this spec. I took out the old CPU Cooler fan and heatsink, and attempted to replace it with the new cooler mentioned above. However, it doesn't seem to fit in comfortably. This fan is apparently made for socket A, which is mine, altogether it doesn't seem to "sit" right in the computer, if you know what I mean. The metal clips don't reach and clip in comfortably, even when I try and force them in...

So, have I just bought the wrong type of cooler, or do you think it should fit my spec? Or does it mean this cooler only fits 3400+ AMD Athlon's? It's really hard to try and explain all this. I've attached some photo's to give you guiys a better idea of the problem.

new_cooler.JPG

old_cooler.JPG
new_and_old.JPG
new_cooler2.JPG

If I were in your shoes I would return the one you bought and try to buy a different fan. I don't really understand how the fan doesn't fit in or sit. It's most likely the wrong fan since when you buy them new, they very rarely are made so that they don't fit your heatsink/etc, perfectly, or close enough to it. Just run out and buy a Zalman if you can because Zalman>anything else in the cooling industry.

Thanks guys. I went out and purchased another Akasa fan and I've managed to install it.

I have one of those for my sister's computer. She had a Socket A something-a-rather. They are a pain in the balls to install and remove, because you can't get a good grip on the clip. But, they work hella good.

Yea, CrazeD. I fought with the fan for ages trying to install it, but in the end I gave up as I didn't want to damage anything.

Anyway, in the end I went out and bought the Akasa AK824cu and it works fine.

Socket A stopped at 3200.

Even among coolers for socket A, not all of them fit the different chips (Barton, Palemino, and so forth).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom