Upgrade??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiztedTwit

Baseband Member
In the last thread I submitted, I spoke of my cd-rom drive not reading the Win Xp Cd I got for my daughter.

She had a pirated copy of Win Xp Pro on here computer. I put my copy of Win Xp Home on her computer, yet we never used it and of course couldnt activate it.

I bought a Win Xp Home Edition (upgrade) for her computer, but it wouldnt load (not reading cd-rom) of boot disk floppies.

In looking at this box the upgrade came in, it says:

The enclosed program will search your hard disk and/or CD to confirm your eligibility for this upgrade. The software will install only if you are a licensed user of one of the following products;
Microsoft Windows 98
Windows 98se
Windows Millenium Edition

so, is this saying I shouldnt have gotten an upgrade for this computer, and if so.. how could I have installed my own copy on her computer as it was also an upgrade?

tt

talldude123 said:
You could try another CD-ROM drive from a friend, or get one really cheap ($5) from a second hand shop.

this and you will have to use powermax to wipe the hard drive clean to truly clean the old stuff off

Powermax?

Thank you TallDude123 and EricB for your suggestions. I think I will swap out the cd-rom with mine first to see if that is the problem.

What is powermax?

TT

As I understand it Powermax is a heavy duty wiping program for your hard drive, cleans off all the crap that even a regular format can leave behind or not even get at (like boot sector stuff, etc.).

ERGHHHHHHHHHHH

Thanks for the reply Jorsoft03.

So tonight I decided to hook everything up again being as the time to register my copy I had put on her computer had expired.

When I turn on my monitor, It comes up green then within 10 seconds goes to an amber light and a black screen.

Any ideas????? This is going to be the death of me yet!!

???????????????

What is an ACPI Uniprocessor?

Also I looked inside the computer for a video card and cant see one. Yet it list her display as NVIDIA GEFORCE4 MX INTEGRATED GPU

Processor is AMD Athlon (tm) XP 2500+

When I look at the device manager, its always got three items under "Other Devices" with a yellow exclamation mark on them. Even if I disable them or delete them, they seem to come back.

Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
SM Bus Controller

Why so?

Re: ???????????????

TwiztedTwit said:
What is an ACPI Uniprocessor?

Also I looked inside the computer for a video card and cant see one. Yet it list her display as NVIDIA GEFORCE4 MX INTEGRATED GPU

Processor is AMD Athlon (tm) XP 2500+

When I look at the device manager, its always got three items under "Other Devices" with a yellow exclamation mark on them. Even if I disable them or delete them, they seem to come back.

Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
SM Bus Controller

Why so?

chipset, gigabit network and realtek or nvidia sound

Explanation please for the dimwit....

Hi EricB,

Could you please explain your answer for me........

Thanks so much.

TT

go to your mobo cd and install your chipset driver. then this will allow you to install you network driver, which is what you should do next. then install your audio card driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom