Trouble instaling windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

toro1966

Beta member
Ok guys I am stumped. I am building a new computer. Computer is built and has the following specs:

1. Gigabyte Ga-965P-S3 Motherboard
2. 2 GB Crucial ballistik Ram (DDR2 800)
3. EVGA 512MB GE Force 7600 GS Video Card
4. Intel Conroe e6600 CPU
5. 250GB WD SATA Hard Drive
6. LG DVD DL R/RW

I am installing an OEM version of WIN XP Pro. This is an Officially licensed, full copy, hologrammed CD with COA.

When the system starts, it asks me to run from CD. I say yes as always and it takes me to the WIN XP setup program. It asks me to hit F8 to agree and then I select quick format NTFS as always. It quick formats it and then starts copying files. This is where the problem happens. It keeps coming up with an error that says it can't copy "x" file. I say "x" file, because I have tried the install several times and it is a different file that it seems to have a problem with. It happens at various times in the file copy process.

I don't know what the problem is. I have tried doing the regular format when it installs - all 2 hours worth! Same problem happens. Even though all parts re brand new - retail - could I have a bad DVD drive or hard drive? I have already changed out the IDE cable to the DVD player. I have not changed out the hard drive cable. Although I have switched ports (SATA slots on the motherboard). I have removed the RAM modules one at a time to see if I somehow got a bad one. I did not yet change RAM slots.

Please help!!! Thanks.

Thanks for the help. I am going to try a new dvd/cd player. I already replaced the ide cable for the CD/DVD player. Even though the one in use was new, I rpelaced it woith a new one, same problem happens. I haven't changed the SATA cable yet, although that as well was brand new. I have checked the connections, and all seem to be good.

My next step is as you recommend, changing out the DVD player and see what happens. I will also try a different SATA cable to the hard drive. i have tried a different SATA port on the motherboard and had no luck. Thanks again and please let me know if anyone thiks of something else. I have built many computers and have never had this issue. Thanks!

OK, I am officially confused. Here s hat i have done.

- I tried a different dvd drive (2 others actually just to make sure)
- I changed out both the SATA cable to the hard drive and the ide cable to the dvd drive
- I changed the hard drive - actually I used a second brand new. It was a different brand and size than the fist new one that had the problem.
- I individually removed each of the ram sticks and tried it after i removed each one.
- I changed the ram port on the motherboard (I used slots 2/4 instea dof 1/3)
- I tried 4 different SATA ports on the motherboard

I still cannot get windows to install. I have tried 3 completely different, full, licensed copies of winxp pro. I still cannot get the thing to install windows. It still stops while copying the initial files and tells me it can't load a particula file. Sometimes it is the smae file. Sometimes it is a different file. It seems to be random. I am extremely fed up and I have no idea where to go next. Any help would be most graciously appreciated.

You said you're using an LG DVD-RW?

I have one, and it works flawlessly. Maybe Microsoft gave you a flawed disc? Well, of course calling them up won't work; they won't give you another free disc.

I would try another drive, because MS won't do anything these days...

I am going with a power supply problem. What kind of PSU do you have? I have a piece of crap PSU and the other day I tried to hook up a second SATA drive and I was getting failures copying stuff to that drive. I tried to reboot and the system wouldnt even start until I unhooked it. I could be completely wrong, but if nothing else has worked...that is my guess of the day.

PS -- COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC *** I love the firefox beta 2 spell checker!

Thanks for all of the ideas. A couple of things.
1. I have tried three different XP Pro discs and all have the same issue so it is unlikely it is the disc.
2. I have tried three different disc drives. all have the same problem.
3. The power supply is a brand new MAD DOG 550w PSU.

After doing a little research and checking on some other forums I downloaded nd ran memtest-86+. It gave me ALL KINDS of errors. This narrowed it down to a memory or memory chain problem.

After more research it appears it could be compatibility issue or memory module or cache controller or a number of other memory related issues. So the first step I have taken is to update to the latest BIOS version for the motherboard. I did not have the latest version and the new version specifically says that it address memory and VGA compatibility issues. So I am running memtest now and hopefully will have some success.

And I agree, my spelling has been atrocious. Sorry, I am typing quickly and am living off of caffeine and sugar right now! Thanks again for all of the help.

I also had the same problem a while back and it turned out to be a problem with the ram.

The technician at the store said that some motherboards just didnt work for some reason with certain ram, as the ram he took out worked fine in another system.

I got it replaced with ram of a different brand and it worked fine. Since you've already tried removing them one by one and changing slots im not too sure. My mate also had the same problem and it was something wrong with the ram slots...

just giving u a few more ideas not sure how much that will help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom