GUIDE: How to buy/what to look for when buying a computer or new part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
reasons for soundcards borrowed for tweakguides.com-

i get better mp3 quality and bass and volume with my audigy 2 zs compared to onboard.

creative labs has cornered the audio market, I only recommend the Audigy 2 ZS ($75) or the X-fi extreme music card ($115).

in almost every recent game, to get the best quality and least troublesome sound effects you need to enable Hardware support, EAX advanced HD 4.0 in particular. if you're not on board with a decent Creative sound card (namely a full-spec Audigy), you'll miss out on a lot of effects in games, as well as finding hardware incompatibilities and audio glitches when using other sound cards.

My thoughts: just like I wouldn't buy a soundcard from any brand other than Creative, I wouldn't buy mice/speakers unless they were Logitech, I wouldn't buy motherboards unless they were Asus, MSI, or DFI, and Corsair seems to be the most trusted brand for RAM.

And what about SCSI hard drives

Do you think it would be better an ATA, SATA or SCSI to get the best performance.

You already talk about speed on ATA and SATA, but could you add something about SCSI.

If it's better or worse...

Thanks.

THIS TREAD IS GREAT!!!!

I am a complete newbee when it comes to computers. I got alot of info from the guide. With the help of a freind who is more knowledgable in the field. I plan to build for gaming but can i still do things like web browsing, excel, video download etc with no problems?

if your building a gaming machine, browsing/excel/downloads will be no big deal.

pretty much any comp can do that...

edit: i also cant edit the guide... soooo... i guess im going to have to edit it then give the revised to trotter who will hopefully make the changes...

~”WHOA!! I just saw a $2000 video card on a website!! Is this some kind of joke??”
These cards are for 3D Rendering called Workstation cards. These cards are made to process millions of polygons that would otherwise murder a normal gaming video card.
Nvidia- Quatro
ATI- FireGL

I just saw this card:
NVIDIA Quadro FX Go 2500M 512MB
It's £250 more than
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 Go GTX 512MB

I understand the quadro one is for 3D design and CAD, so I am wondering will it outperform the 7900 in games considerably, or is the advantage only really visible in CAD or 3D design. Also, how would the quadro card compare against the 2x the 7900 with sli.

Also, a quick question on the side: I have been looking at high end laptops and all the best laptops have either Intel Core Duo T2700 2.33GHz or AMD Turion 64 ML-44 (35W, 2.4GHz, 1MB) or AMD Athlon 64 FX60 Dual Core. I have been looking for bechmarks to compare these, but I am either no good at it or they are not about, so I am wondering which of these three is better (perfomance wise)

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom