New Computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZildjianUFO

Solid State Member
Hey everyone!
So here's my situation:
I've always been into PC games, especially MMO's (World of Warcraft!). So I got a computer like 8 years ago. My Step Dad built it for me from various parts around his work. An Old Motherboard and Processor, but I built it up a little by going through many video cards untill I was at the one I have now, GeForce 6800 GT. And I got 1g of ram for it too.
Now I have been fine with games for the longest time...not perfect...but pretty good. I just recently got a bunch of money and I have basically upgraded my motherboard and processor.
Now, my Step Dad went ahead and ordered them and they came in today. I didn't really chose because I was confused on them :p
What I got though was:
-"Gigabyte K8 Triton series, AGP8X/DDR400 Motherboard"
-"AMD Athlon 64 3300+ Socket 754 CPU Processor"

And then I think I got enough ram to where I will have 1.5 gig.
I'm just keeping my old video card because it works VERY well with World of Warcraft and I can't imagine anything better!

So basically I just wanted to know if anyone knew if this will be a good gaming system? And if there is anything I can add to it to make it better?
Thanks a lot guys!

~ZildjianUFO

You gotta have the same type of ram, if the 1gb you currently have is different, or incompatible with the motherboard you picked, then won't work. That 6800gt should be fine with the motherboard you chose, and if the motherboard is socket 754, then the cpu should work as well.

O ok thanks.
Well I can post pics if you'd like, when I get home from school today I can take a couple pictures :p
Anyway, Do you think this will be a good gaming system?

Thanks!
~ZildjianUFO

Norcent said:
I hate it when people say they built 1 computer or more and didn't post any pics.

where was THAT comment pointed too??? I don't understand the relavance of it either???

Anywho...

Without knowing the exact mobo... (I've tried to google it, and get a few results) those parts will be ok, but as stated above, depending on what type of ram you have it may or may not work. I'm also logically assuming since it's dated, you PSU might not be up to the job of handling all the extras... you can check that by going here

but overall it's dated, but it should, but check the ram. if you can give the specs for your system now that would help settle that... :)

My curent machine is:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: D845PT
System Model: PT84510A
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.50GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

It should run WoW without a problem. I would have gone with Socket AM2 instead of 754 though

Shando said:
It should run WoW without a problem. I would have gone with Socket AM2 instead of 754 though

His dad probably didn't say anything and just ordered it. but hey... I still wouldn't complain about free.. :D

Edit: In looking around, I'm pretty sure that your board now take DDR SDRAM of some type... PC2100/2700/3200 and the new board you have should work with the ram you have now... now just check out the PSU and make sure it'll handle the power updates and you should be good

Well I told him to get me a good motherboard lol....Cause my old one was really...old lol...So I just wanted to know if it was a good one, and if the processor was good.
And I'm not sure what you mean about the PSU.

~ZildjianUFO

well, if you have a 200/250 watt power supply, it might not handle the updates your putting on it. you'll want to make sure it can handle it before you go putting everything together and find out it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom