Server Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.M.K.

Beta member
I have recently been asked to help develop a small business, and one of the tasks I have been given is to research and find solutions for the communication side of the business.

In short, I need to find a server solution to host e-mail, file sharing, a single company website, and connect as few as ten users to the network. If it helps, I will be using a cable line for internet access, as well as VoIP for the call center.

What type of server would you recommend? A tower type server or rack mount server? I kind of need an explanation in the differences, and the advantages of each. I am looking to save as much money as possible, but I also want this solution to last awhile. If someone could post a spec list of what they would recommend that would help. I build gaming PCÂ’s for fun, so I have no problem building a server if someone can suggest what would be a good hardware setup.

In addition, for running an e-mail server, file sharing, a website, etc. what software packages would be best? I have looked into both Microsoft Office 2003 Small Business Management, and Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 R2 Premium Edition, and they look like they would both do the trick. Would it be a better to use another software package and why? I have heard that Apache is the best way to go for websites. If I went the route of using Apache as the website solution, would I need another server to run it on, or could I use the same server? IÂ’m clueless, sadly, when it comes to servers.

Also, I am not that knowledgeable with Linux, and its many distros, but IÂ’m willing to learn more if a Linux solution would be better. If a Windows solution would work, that would be best, but again I just want expert advice, and am willing to try what is recommended.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

RMK

Not sure if you're going to find the answers here man, xtreme systems is an option, but that site is geared more towards overclocking, but the folks there know their stuff when it comes to computers, and alot probably have servers for personal or work. www.xtremesystems.com

Thanks much!

Does anyone else having any suggestions on where I might be able to find the answers to these questions?

Thanks,

RMK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom