GSATA or SATA? How to hook up my HD to the mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL Tech

In Runtime
I have this hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148144

And this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012

I need to know how to hook it up. My mobo has two main different type of connections for HDÂ’s. Here are the two:

SATAII0/1/2/3 (SATA 3Gb/s Connector, Controlled by Intel ICH8)

AND

GSATAII0/1 (SATA 3Gb/s Connector, Controlled by GIGABYTE SATA2)

So what one do I choose to hook the hard drive up to?

Here is a pic of the cable provided with the mobo for the hard drive. It also shows the three pairs of connections for the hard drive. The GSATA is the purple one and the SATA is the yellow one.

dsc01611tv0.jpg

Also here is a pic of my hard drive. It has three connections on the back. One is for power the other fits the yellow cable in the above picture. So I assume it goes to the mobo. But there is a third connection. The longer one of the two. What is that for? I do not have any cables that fit it. Do I need it?

dsc01614bu0.jpg

Also whatÂ’s the difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3? My HD says its SATA 2 but the mobo says it supports up to SATA 3. And whatÂ’s the difference between the two jacks I listed above?

As long as they plug in, then I would think they'd work, since the mobo says it can handle up to sata3 and your hd is sata2, shouldn't be any problem. As far as differences, I don't honestly know. Oh and the section you boxed in red on the HD is the power connection.

The one in the red box is SATA Power plug.
sata15pin.jpg

This is needed.

The One in the BLUE is where the acctual sata cable goes.

The one in the purple, nothing plugs into. You put jumper over certain pins and it can enable A. Master B. slave C. Cable select. Dont worry about this as usually sata does it by it self.

Dont use both of what? I looked more carefully and found something out. There are two plugs. Power and data. Thats it. The thire thing is just a jumper. So do I use the GSATA or the SATA port on the mobo?

There are six plugs on the mobo for the HD. What one do I use? They are labeled as follows:

SATAII0
SATAII1
SATAII2
SATAII3
GSATAII0
GSATAII1

Use SATAII0 to plug it into. The GSATA connectors are a secondary chipset that control additional SATA conections. Use the motherboard's chipset connectors first. QED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom