Is CPU fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suicide007

In Runtime
My friend just decided to build a computer, so he did. He got an amd 3400 and some other stuff. It worked. He wanted it to work faster. so he oc'ed it. It doesnt work anymore.

He said he used some program called aiboost that came with his mobo, and he never actually saw the word overclock, but he just dragged a little cursor from 100 to 105. He said that then all the guages went crazy (voltage, speed, ect...) and it still worked. He then tried to open 3Dmark05 and it froze. Now, when it boots, it just goes to the welcome screen and you can move the mouse for like three seconds. Then it freezes. He tried it like 15 times, and same thing. He also tried to use the windows xp setup disc to repair it, but it freezes on that too.

Ive never fried anything before, but im not convinced it is. Could it just be overheating? Hes using the stock amd cooler. I advised him to get a new cpu cooler and some arctic silver, cuase it sounds kinda like its overheating, cause if its fried, then it wouldnt get that far, would it?

Sounds like its OC'd to a point where it isn't stable, shouldn't be fried, but y'all have to restore the CPU back to it's factory settings or to a setting thats stable. On how to do so, don't ask, me, hopefully someone that knows OC'ing will chime in.

obivosly aver changing from 100 to 105 anythign shouldnt kill or fry, try safemode yet? unisntall aibooster or switch the comp back to a eariler date, its prob an easy fix but not alot of info ur givin

i use aibooster, nothing is dragged, u click the % u want more from 1% to 10% then it is restarted, i have never had that program freeze the cpu,
10% is very little and almost unescecary, not even a noticsble increase

Reset the CMOS.

Heat only increases when you give it more voltage

Your temepeture would be the same if you had 230 MHz FSB and 700 if you didnt touch the voltage.

vipercrazed said:
are there comps that run at 700? i havent kept up with my book of world records, lol

:sigh:

Im trying to show you that no matter how high you set the FSB it wont increase tempetures.

700 FSB is totally possible with maybe a x3 multi as thats only 2.1 ghz

But of course you would need super ram for that unless you want one HUGE divider.

There's no point for him to reset the BIOS, because it's software overclocked. Get your friend to start Windows in safe-mode, and just reset the overclock in the program he used. Just before the Windows boot-screen, press F8 to boot in safe-mode.

And Anthrax, increasing the FSB of a CPU will increase it's heat-output without raising voltage, but the increase in temp will be lower than with an increase in voltage. And I'm yet to find a mobo that supports a 700 FSB. Yes, I know you were just messing around! :D

It has happened where oc'ing corrupts windows and requires a clean install. Slave the hd to another machine and back stuff up and do a format/free install and try that unless anyone has any more ideas before doing something so drastic.

There's no point for him to reset the BIOS, because it's software overclocked. Get your friend to start Windows in safe-mode, and just reset the overclock in the program he used. Just before the Windows boot-screen, press F8 to boot in safe-mode.
Overclocking software is just a windows GUI version of the BIOS so to speak in that it can edit the BIOS without directly being in it. Same deal with any video card overclocking utility. The CPU frequency information is stored in BIOS, if it was stored within the program in windows that would just conflict with the original BIOS, so yes, clearing the CMOS will do the job

Of course you should be able to boot to the BIOS anyways and manually restore defaults either way as most overclocking stability issues occur within the boot sector or beyond and will not prevent a computer from posting unless you are ridiculously stupid about overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom