AMD 3200+ at 225mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayvon

In Runtime
Hey wassup everyone, for some reason I can't OC my 3200 pass 2.25?

I lowered my HTT to x4, left my voltage at default 1.400, and also tried bumping it to 1.420.

My Ram is Dual DDR400(PC3200) 2.5cas (Timing-2.5-3-3-6) Voltage-2.6-2.75

Using a Abit Kn8 Mobo.

Increased my fan speed to 80% - I even have a Zalman equiped.

But when I OC it to 230mhz it gives me the black screen and I have to reset cmos?

So am I doing something wrong or does this happen to alot of people also? I'm running the 3200 from AMD and not the Venice or San Diego cores...

sorry didn't notice you had your ram listed in your sig, my assumption was based on the fact you didn't post the model. in any case 230mhz is a fair overclock for DDR400 and given DDR400 is only guaranteed to run DDR400 not DDR460 i still say it's likely the memory is unstable. try "loosening" your timings or running a divider if the motherboard has them. if the motherboard has dividers then for the sake of keeping things simple you should use the largest one so you can be sure it is not the memory causing instability

Hmm Im still new at OC'ing, so how exactly would you divide and set my timings to if you had my PC right now?

in the BIOS somewhere it will have some ratios for the memory:fsb. these ratios will just set the memory frequency to a fraction of the FSB frequency. just find the one that sets the memory at it's lowest possible speed for the purposes of testing how far your cpu can overclock. i will look into your motheboard if you are still confused and if i have the time

My BIOS shows me the HT speed and timings of the ram, but I dont see anything for the 'speed' of the ram?

Am I missing something here?

Ps. If you had the ram I had what timings would you give it for best results? Or maybe its not even my ram thats holding it back, Could be the motherboard?

I heard certain motherboards arent as good at OC'ing then others?

-Abit Kn8

well i can't answer that really. overclocking is an art and while people may be able to point out what you are doing wrong we can do nothing better than an educated guess at "the best settings" because it varies so much. you have to get a feel for it and do it by trial and error until you find the best settings that are stable. i guess the main pointer i can give you is that to try and avoid changing the CAS (first) latency as much as possible.

See if i do change the timings I dont know wtf Im doing?

Bump it up by 1 or 2 or 3? Or lower it?

Why bump this one and that one?

What does this do? blah blah blah ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom