Help with installing OS on compaq laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewoknight

Beta member
So a friend got a compaq (ya i hate em) and hes not good with computers and got it loaded with spyware and viruses and just wanted it reformatted. He had windows home so i decided to give him pro. But it turns out that compaq laptops (computers also?) dont allow any windows installation without one of their recovery disks. Well seeing as compaq is cheap, they have a partition on the harddrive that has the recovery. But i didnt either of those were those, untill i tried installing windows pro (and i deleted that partition that had the recovery). So i figured it was the BIOS or CMOS that was stopping it so i took out the harddrive and put it in another laptop and installed windows xp on it. Installed fine, works fine. But when i put it back in the compaq, it gives some error saying "we apologize for inconvenience..windows didnt start up right...." and then gives me the option to boot windows normally or from last known bootable, i picked both and it keeps sending me to the same error page. So im just wondering if theres anything else i can do, or what is the real problem. I think its either the CMOS or the BIOS that like reads the signature of the OS on the harddrive..and if its not compaq whatever, it doesnt take it (my best guess). And also if anyone knows where to get compaq recovery disks...like free. (they make you pay off their website) Thanks.

I just install xp on a compaq a few hours ago.

use powermax to delete that harddrive. then install xp

So wait, you dont get a message saying you cant install whatever windows because its not a valid compaq disk or whatever? Hmm. Ill try the powermax to clean the harddrive..but i think its his bios thats stopping me from installing new OS.

edit: by powermax you mean maxtors program? If so, he doesnt have a floppy drive.

I have the cd.iso image in my signature. sometime they put stuff in the boot sector to stop certain installs. powermax will delete all of that info.

Thank you much appreciated. I just spent 2 hours on the phone with them and get myself a free copy of the recovery disks. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom