Pentium 3 processor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
I just bought HP motherobard that has 66mhz-100mhz fsb if I buy a 733mhz Pentium 3 that has 133fsb will the motherboard drop the mhz down by 66mhz or 100mhz ? I'm going to buy a new processor in about 2 hours and I just needed this question answerd before I do anything.

MadMikeXP
p.s.
My old gateway finally died
thats why I am building a new PC.

HP motherboards dont give you the options to control fsb and odds are it will not run or will run at reduced speed. 133x5.5=733mhz so if the fsb drops to 100 then your looking at reducing your clock speed to 550mhz. I would just upgrade to something modern as prices are already low for something like a 2800+ Sempron or Celeron D.

Post something in the "Building General PC's" section and one of the members will build you a very cheap PC that will do the basics, like run Windows XP and do mild gaming.

Actually that motherboard has 100mhz FSB I want to upgrade the processor that comes with the board 500mhz to 800mhz.
I'm not a moron or anything like that I just wanted to know what would happen if I put 133mhz fsb processor on that board and see if the mobo would knock down the mhz a little or alot.

But I do want to find p3 800mhz for that mobo and the people on ebay that sell the slot 1 processor are charging way to **** much for s/h

If someone knows where I can find the processor I want thats at a affordable price of 20 dollars for the item and shipping please let me know.

You sure it was the gateway that died or just the power supply? My current gateway I'm using had a psu which was making noise, so I replaced it before it could fail on me.

(Drizo You sure it was the gateway that died or just the power supply? )
My current gateway I'm using had a psu which was making noise, so I replaced it before it could fail on me.

@Drizo: (wtf are you talking about man ?) my cocker spaniel took out the power cord of my computer and knocked it out I tried to turn on my pc I tried three new power supply that each had either 300 watts or 400watts and I my pc never even tried turn on. I smelled the mobo to see if anything leaked or fried no smells at all. so apparently the six year old 433 celeron pc finally went to ****. luckily my other pc parts worked liked nothing happen at all.....

How in the world am I going to put p3 1.3ghz on a hp mobo that has 100mhz fsb.....? that mobo would probably reject it as soon as I power up the pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom