I need C2D conversion tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrillian

In Runtime
Hello,

I will be swapping out the CPU/MoBo/RAM that is in my sig for a C2D this weekend. Does anyone have any pointers or tips as far as software and drivers? Or anything else for that matter. I'm new to building (about 7 months w/ 4 builds), and I would like to make this as clean as I can.

I have the hardware aspect down (but please comment if you like), just not sure about peripherals, software and such. I have a G15 and a MX1000. Should I do my initial boot with these or should I use the PS/2 KB and USB mouse that I have?

As far as anyone knows, will I simply be able to swap the components and run with it? Awhile back I did an entire conversion from AGP to PCI-E and used the same HDD. This is a new HDD w/ a new XP OS, though the situation is similar. Will I have to get XP re-activated like last time? I don't mind doing it, just wanna know if that's going to happen again.

Thanks for your help and advice.

You are very thorough, nice to see..

First off, thats a pretty nice setup you already have, personally i would keep what you have for a while...

But...go ahead and use the new mouse and kboard...they will work fine...install any software if you want after booting...

Yes, you can reuse hard drives, dvd drives, psu....

Yes, you will have to reactivate windows again..doesnt take long..

Good luck...

What mboard and ram are you getting??

Thanks vaderpro.

Ya, I know this is kinda silly for me to do this, I think I need to attend a 12-step Computers Anonymous group. I went and got a 2nd job just to support my habit.

I received the E6400 and 1GB Patriot Extreme PC6400 today. The Asus P5B Deluxe is arriving tomorrow.

I am doing this (partially) as I really want to push my x2 3800. I don't fancy not having a PC, and if I damaged it I would be SOL. Now I am free to see what I can do with AMD CPU. Truth be known I much prefer AMD as a company, I knda feel like Benedict Arnold.

As far as software, if you're going to do a fresh install of XP, then have SP2 ready on a CD or something, install SP2 before you ever connect your PC to the internet. Unless your copy already comes w/ SP2 then nvm.

i was wonderin about the hdd swap also, sounds easy

still not affordable yet :)

well its like 470 for the microatx and 6600 which i want but for a case, and RAM and maybe new fans cause watercooling wont fit in a qpack it gets wayy to pricey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom