motherboard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

neweyedeya18

In Runtime
my celeron comp (in sig) will turn on and go through all the post screens and such but then it will go to a black screen and the dreaded blinking "_" will come on.... i think it might be my hard drive because its pretty old and i pulled it from a emachines....

either way the motherboard p5rd1 has sata and ide obviously but i could never get sata as the primary hard drive because i had to load windows on an ide then load the drive for sata after windows was in...

my question is does anyone know in asus motherboards what i could do to load windows from my sata??? i dont want to have to buy another ide hd because i am pretty strapped for cash

any help would be appreciated

When you boot from the windows CD, if you look at the bottom line of the screen as it starts up, it says something like "press fx to install a third party SATA driver" (fx being one of the function keys, can't remember which one it is).

I've never done it but the last couple of motherboards i've had have come with a floppy with SATA drivers on it. My guess is, if you press the relevant function key, it'll ask you to stick in the disk with the SATA driver on, and then use that driver to install Windows on the SATA HDD.

worked

worked perfectly it was f6 by the way. i went partioning crazy! 5,10,20,20,25.... thanks alot. i think i asked this question before but no one responded.

it was weird tho when installing windows it said i couldnt install it because there was no proof that a previous version was installed. so it said to insert 1998,me,2000 so i put in my moms dell laptop reboot disk and it worked... weird

thanks again though

Yeah, that is weird. I've never come across that before.... Could be that you're installing an upgrade version? Don't know...

Still, glad it's working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom