what dremel bit do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancec2c30

Future ex-member
okay I am clueless as to what bit or wheel or acessery I need to cut in the steel of my computer case.

I have tried cutting wheels, they dont cut circularly. Then I tried the rotozip bit, not made for steel just dont cut it (literally). now I juist bought the 7 flippin dollar tongstun carbide bit, and it is absolute KRAP. It wont cut it at all.

What did you do when you tried the Roto-zip?

If you have all the components, you should be able to use it like a compass (geometry, not navigational). You will need to drill a pilot hole for the Roto-zip as the "blade" isi designed to cut along its long axis. It does not work like a standard drill bit.

I have done this a couple of times and it is super easy after a few test runs on scrap material.

no I put the roto-zip bit in the dremel, but I do have a roto-zip also, I will have to look at the stuff that came with it, but I dont think it cam e with a compass attachment.

I understand that you have to drill a pilot hole, but I cant find any rotozip bits designed for metal. I have only seen them for dry-wal, plaster, plastic, and wood.

Now my uncle who lives just down the road has a brand new dremel with all the acceries, like a compass, and many others.

All I am looking to do, is drill a 12cm hole in the top- of my tower for a blow-hole, and I dont want to get a holesaw when I have all the stuff I need.

CrazeD said:
What do you mean cutting wheels don't cut circularly?

I think that he means that the cutting edge of the wheel is flat. Though not impossible, it is difficult to get a CLEAN circular cut with a flat cutting edge that is 1/2" wide.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

You don't stuff the whole cutting wheel into the material for one. You go over it several times. If you go lightly over the top, it is very easy to get a circular cut. It will be in your best interest to cut inside the line of course, because you will not have a PERFECT circular cut. But, it will be close enough that you can finish it with a file or a grinding attachment.

CrazeD, you are correct. You are not missing anything. The technique that you describe can be done readily enough - if one is careful and patient. I used the rotozip as I was after the enso.

The link didn't work for me. Just make sure that you have a Rotozip style blade.

You could always do what crazyD said. It takes some patience and a steady hand. Most of the time the cut will be covered with rubber/plastic sleeve and then the framework/grill over that.

Practice on some scrap metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom