Problem loading XP Pro Multilingual

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamu1

Beta member
I have XP home on my computer and I have already deleted many of the programs. I need to format the hard drive and then add Pro Multilingual before giving this to a friend.

I attempted to boot from the new CD (XP pro) purchased from
Newegg as OEM. This is the message that I receive.

Windows XP Multilingual User Interface Pack cannot be installed on this platform.

I can use any suggestions as I don't understand what went wrong and what I can do.

Thank you

I have been reading the supported platform information on the new CD. It says that XP MUI only works with Windows XP Pro edition and can not be installed on XP home. XP home is currently on the computer but I thought that XP PRO MUI would overwrite the home edition.

It also says that a 32 bit MUI pack can only be installed on 32 bit windows XP and a 64 bit MUI on a 64 bit windows XP. How can I tell if I have received the XP MUI in either the 32 or 64 bit?

xp pro multilingual can only be upgraded on top of xp pro (english) it cannot be upgraded on top of home... u need to f-disk your drive to remove the partition then try it.

What is Multlingual User Interfaced Pack (MUI)?
Multilingual User Interface Pack is a set of language specific resource files that can be added to the English version of Windows Professional. When installed on the English version of Windows, MUI allows the user interface language of the operating system to be changed according to the preferences of individual users to one of the 33 supported languages. This allows large corporations to roll out the same worldwide image with a single install job. Local users can then select the user interface language or it can be set by Group Policy for Organizational Units.
MUI also allows different language users to share the same workstation or roaming users to take their localized user interface from one workstation to another. For instance, one user might choose to see system menus, dialogs and other text in Japanese, while another user logging onto the same system might prefer to see the corresponding text in French.

xp pro multilingual can only be upgraded on top of xp pro (english) it cannot be upgraded on top of home... u need to f-disk your drive to remove the partition then try it.

I am fairly new to this so could you please walk me thru this. First, do I need to go out and purchase the regular XP Pro also or can I use this MUI addition? If this disk is all I need, how do I (f-disk) my drive when the computer will not allow me to enter F12 to boot from the new disk?

i'm not sure if it's a full version or not...i think you have to have xp pro (english) but i'm not sure... to fdisk you need a boot disk (i.e. windows 95 bootdisk) it's a floppy that when you insert it takes you to dos mode...when in dos mode type fdisk when it says A:\. then you will say yes to using large drives...use the third option on the list... then it'll probably be a non-dos partition so i believe it's number four on the list... select your partition (probably 1) and press enter... and then there's no more partition and technically no more windows...good luck

-kidwell28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom