Building Conroe Gaming System, Opinions Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NosBoost300 said:
ah, the prices raise for it.. when i was considering purchase it was 500 flat with free shipping

Yeah, even being a nVidia man like myself, I still am not to fanboyish to see that the X1900XTX is a much better buy, considering that it's prices are dropping and the 7950's are rising. Plus, a X1900XTX is more than you will ever need till DX10, so like I said before, anything more expensive is a waste.

Paul_Wall_117 said:
Yeah, even being a nVidia man like myself, I still am not to fanboyish to see that the X1900XTX is a much better buy, considering that it's prices are dropping and the 7950's are rising. Plus, a X1900XTX is more than you will ever need till DX10, so like I said before, anything more expensive is a waste.

not when it comes to crysis!!! haha.. ya, but i'll agree.. i see this xt i bought as a smarter choice.. see as it saved me a crapload of money

NosBoost300 said:
not when it comes to crysis!!! haha.. ya, but i'll agree.. i see this xt i bought as a smarter choice.. see as it saved me a crapload of money

Actually, all of the crysis videos we have seen so far are actually running on X1900XTX's through a DX10 emulator. Obviously, the emulator will be either leaked or turned into freeware, and people who buy the X1900XTX will be able to max out crysis for alot less money than you spent getting a 7950.

Also, for 20 bucks less, a X1900XT isn't a very good deal because yes, you can OC to X1900XTX levels, but doesn't that mean that if you spend a little more, you can OC even higher with a X1900XTX? It is very OC able, the stock HS is great (a little loud though, but not noticeable at all while you are running Oblivion at max settings 1280 by 1024 with HDR and AA on at the same time (nVidia cards can't do both at the same time)).

I would suggest skipping the Nforce chipset. Not so good for Intel right now. My mobo suggestions are sorted by price (highest to lowest) are:

Asus P5W DH
Asus P5B Deluxe
Gigabyte DS3

Not positive if all are compatible with the 7950X2, so if you go that route check first.

I think I'm going to stay with the 7950 gx2 since I just personally prefer Nvidia. As for switching to another motherboard, I already purchased the Asus P5N32-SLI SE this weekend since it was on sale. I'm wondering if I should get a custom heatsink and fan for my Conroe E6600. I didn't plan on overclocking my cpu, but I may consider it, and I just want my cpu to stay at low temps. So which heatsink and fan would you recommend that isn't too loud?
Also, are there any gaming headsets you could recommend? My friend recommends the SENNHEISER PC165
Thanks,
Larry

Get a Sunbeam Tuniq Tower, Scythe Infinity, or TT Big Typhoon. Also the Noctua NH-U 12 is another choice.

Drizo said:
Get a Sunbeam Tuniq Tower, Scythe Infinity, or TT Big Typhoon. Also the Noctua NH-U 12 is another choice.

Will these fit on an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600? The TT Big Typhoon looks cool, but it seems like its been out for a while since I found a review on it dated 3/19/2005.

Yeah man, my scythe infinity fits, just barely, but thats cause of the northbridge heatsink, and the mosfets near the cpu socket. Luckily it fit without problem, but on the ASUS p5w dh, some folks had to grind part of the lga 775 adapter for the scythe infinity so it didn't touch the mosfets. My board is a Intel boxd975xbx. The others shouldn't be as tricky as the scythe infinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom