Building Conroe Gaming System, Opinions Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bootlegcuh

Solid State Member
I'm building a new gaming system, upgrading from an old computer I put together about 5 years ago. I want to know your opinions on the hardware I chose.

Motherboard
ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe

Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz LGA 775

RAM
mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel Kit

Graphics Card
eVGA Geforce 7950GX2 :p

Hard Drive
Western Digital Raptor 150GB 3.5 Serial ATA150

DVD Burner
Pioneer 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Read

Case
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w- 25CM Fan Side Pane

Power Supply
SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF 750W

PCI Slot Fan ( Maybe, but i think the Asus motherboard comes with 2 pci slot fans? :question: )
VANTEC SP-FC70-BL Spectrum Blue Fan Card

Thanks in advance,
Larry

I personally (and many others would agree) would not go for the 7950GX2, when the G80s/R600s arrive soon the the 7950 will become almost obselete very quickly, meaning you've essentially wasted your money. In my opinion i'd go for something more conservative, and then splash out later-on.

The rest however looks A-OK :)

LU4sTrooper said:
I personally (and many others would agree) would not go for the 7950GX2, when the G80s/R600s arrive soon the the 7950 will become almost obselete very quickly, meaning you've essentially wasted your money. In my opinion i'd go for something more conservative, and then splash out later-on.

The rest however looks A-OK :)

In that case, would the X1900XTX be considered a waste? It's alot less expensive than a 7950, but with sufficient power to run everything out there.

I myself will be getting one with my new build, and I would highly reccomend it.

At the end of the day I can't tell you what to do :D the x1900XTX is of course a very nice card, the most powerful single GPU solution out there, I personally wouldn't consider it a waste at all and would recommend it over the 7950GX2 tbh.

LU4sTrooper said:
At the end of the day I can't tell you what to do :D the x1900XTX is of course a very nice card, the most powerful single GPU solution out there, I personally wouldn't consider it a waste at all and would recommend it over the 7950GX2 tbh.

Well, now that I am reassured, I highly suggest you save your money and get a X1900XTX. It is a very good card, like he said, the best single GPU solution. Plus, you save all of that money so you can put that to upgrading to the newest cards when they come out!

thanks for the replies, but....

Thanks for replying. I knew everyone would tell me not to get the 7950. The reason I'm getting it, is because eVGA has an upgrade plan. Where if any new products come out within 90 days of purchase, I would be able to trade in my 7950 and pay the difference to get the newer product. This would work out if the Geforce 8 series came out within the next 3 months, is it? If not, I could just get another 7950 to set up SLI if for any reason I need more graphics power. But that would leave me with a set-up that doesn't support DX10, correct? ( oh well, I'll get the new card and sell the 7950 to a friend or something ). As for suggesting to get the X1900XTX, I'm a Nvidia/GeForce fan, I would never go with ATI, just my personal preference.

So, what about all the other hardware? everything "A-OK"? :)

Thanks!

Larry

i myself really wanted the 7950 gx2.. but i had some money problems coming along with it.. i would recommend it myself... its incredibly good for the price.. nothing thats 500 dollars can match its power.. i don't see why everyone says its a waste of money.. xtx's are close to the gx2 prices...

Re: thanks for the replies, but....

bootlegcuh said:
Thanks for replying. I knew everyone would tell me not to get the 7950. The reason I'm getting it, is because eVGA has an upgrade plan. Where if any new products come out within 90 days of purchase, I would be able to trade in my 7950 and pay the difference to get the newer product. This would work out if the Geforce 8 series came out within the next 3 months, is it? If not, I could just get another 7950 to set up SLI if for any reason I need more graphics power. But that would leave me with a set-up that doesn't support DX10, correct? ( oh well, I'll get the new card and sell the 7950 to a friend or something ). As for suggesting to get the X1900XTX, I'm a Nvidia/GeForce fan, I would never go with ATI, just my personal preference.

So, what about all the other hardware? everything "A-OK"? :)

Thanks!

Larry

I too am a nVidia man, and I feel a little... dirty... going ATI in my new build, but it is definately worth it.

The DX10 cards will definately not be out in 3 months, or so I've heard.

I only suggested that card because it is pretty much all you will need before DX10 comes, so anything better will be a waste of money.

Also, to the other guy, the X1900XTX is only $350.00, that is alot less expensive than the 7950.

All of the other parts look quite nice, you will be a very happy gamer, albeit with a needlessly overpriced and un-needed graphics card, in comparison to a X1900XTX (more than enough power to run everything until DX10)...

xtx's have dropped that low!! thats only 20 more dollars than an xt.. i havent been checking up on newegg these days...

isnt the evga 7950 500 dollars as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom