what is bios use for

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can also consider the BIOS and the CMOS to be the operating system until windows or whatever other OS you have takes over.
During POST and up until the MBR is read, the BIOS and CMOS are what you are interfacing with.

CMOS= Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor
Its the menu you access to change Motherboard settings refer to motherboard manual to find out information specific to your system.

CMOS= Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor
Its the menu you access to change Motherboard settings refer to motherboard manual to find out information specific to your system.

CMOS is only the memory you store the settings in, that is called the "BIOS Setup Utility".

Hmm, I have only ever heard of BIOS being Basic Input Output System

that's because you are right XD. typed that one just before i went to bed, shall edit it in a second.

Actually the terms can be used interchangably, I simply choose to call it the CMOS Setup instead of the BIOS Setup because that is how I orignally learned it.

nitestick said:
well this is an odd question.

BIOS (Basic Input Output System). the BIOS is an EEPROM (Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) chip on a motherboard or on some cards like video cards and network cards. all it does is tell a device how to work at it's most basic level.

There are still boards out there that have EPROMs, and require a programer to burn the BIOS. These are known as ROM-BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom