building a gaming pc, CD-RW help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonhtml

Baseband Member
first off, im new to this forum, so im sorry if this is post is in the wrong place. but, im building a gaming pc and i ran into some trouble on deciding what cd-rw drive to get, so i have some questions:

1. cd-rw can read my games, so i dont have to get an additional cd-rom drive correct?

2. im currently looking at a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard here and the specs dont say anything about EIDE, IDE, ATAPI, ect... but the interfaces i find for the drives have only that... for example, i was also looking at this drive . its interface is EIDE/ATAPI, but my mobo only has SATA.... does this mean that the drive is incompatible with the motherboard? if it is, where would i find the right CD-RW drives to use with my mobo?

thx in advance, i hope i explained it clearly...

1. So long has you install the drivers/firmware for it (If it doesn't work automatically)

2. Actualy your motherboard has one EIDE Slot So you can have any combination of the following.

2 DVD Drives
2 CD-rom Drives
2 harddrives.

So your limited to only 2 EIDE/ATAPI Devices, in this case you would have the CD-ROM as Slave and the HD as Master, or Both Cable Select.

1. Correct.

I'll leave question 2 for someone else, I don't quite understand what you're asking.

1. thx :)

2. hm... where does it say that it has 1 EIDE/ATAPI slot?

and couldnt i have the cd-rw drive on the EIDE/ATAPI and the HD on the SATA?

It says PATA, which is parralel Advanced technology attachment, which Basically in a nuteshell is the same thing as EIDE/ATAPI.

Without knowing that you can just look at the motherboard picture and see that there is ONE 40 Pin connector right above the floppy Connector and close to the 20/24 PIn Connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom