Is my video card ruined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

euchrid

Baseband Member
I was doing some work inside my machine which involved taking out the video card in order to get access to some jumpers that were right next to it. After replacing it, the computer would only run for a minute or so before experiencing some serious visual artifacts - the whole screen descending into flickering boxes, then total blackness.

After trying a few things, I've tested another video card in its place, and now the computer works perfectly. My question is this - is the old card ruined forever or is it fixable? It's an HIS ATI Radeon X800 XL, and I had to save up for it, so I'd really rather not just throw it away. Do I have any options here?

There must be more to this...

What else happened? Did you notice any static discharge between you and any of the components? Were you wearing an anti-static wrist band, or did you ground yourself to the case prior to working inside the case or handling compenents?

I hope that you can fix your card, this kinda thing really sucks!

I wasn't wearing a band, no. I did touch the case before going in, though, and I didn't notice any sort of discharge. Despite that, I was already thinking that static was likely to be the culprit.

Could it be overheating? There's a pretty big fan on it, but onscreen artifacts can mean too much heat. There also seems to be lots of dust in the heatsink. What would people suggest doing about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom