Hard Drive Needs 80 conductor cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie578

In Runtime
Im trying to use a 250gb (127gb active partition) HDD without an 80 conductor cable, and its recognized in the bios, but windows 2k dosent show it, do i need an 80 conductor cable?

Im not having a barrier problem, i was just stating that the only active partition is 127 so it wouldnt be a barrier problem that im having. I had 2 older hdds working on this same IDE cable even thou it told me taht it wasnt an 80 conductor cable. The hdd is fairly new and large capacity so im thinking it is the cable because it was working with an 80 conductor cable on another IDE chain and my computer is stupid and dosent like to recognize 4 devices using 80 conductor cables.

EDIT: O, ****. i was reading the barrier page and i may have realized something.

i might be having a barrier problem, but lets put that aside for now. I got the hdd detected with an 80 conductor cable in the 2nd ide chain but still nothing in windows. I switched the hdd with a DVDRW i had on the first chain and the DVDRW isnt being detected on the 2nd chain and the HDD is working in windows.

I presume you set the master/slave jumpers appropriately? other than that just make sure your using an 80 conductior ribbon (95% sure you are unless this computer is like 10 years old).

If still doesn't work then replace the ribbon.

This computer has always had problems detecting hardware on its 2nd ide chain, especially with an 80 conductor cable. And the jumper settings are correct, ive tried all sorts of combinations and really my 1st ide chain only seems to work when i need it to.

I have an old 10gb with windows and i need my DVDRW with an 80 conductor cable for it to work properly and then i need a secondary hdd to burn my stuff off. Ive gotten 4 hdds working at once but the 2nd chain was using an older non 80 cable. Ill try using the 10gb in the 2nd chain with an 80 cable and changing boot priority cuz the dvdrw and secondary hdd should both work on 1st chain with 80 cable.

Im sorry if im not giving much detail but ive really tried pretty much everything the normal person would do, jumper, position on the chain, chain, different cables. and im having mixed results but never the one i want.

could it be that you're not getting enough power to the drives?

For 4 drives make sure you use 2 seperate 5v rails with nothing else attached.

What wattage ratting is your PSU and what amperage do you get on the rails? (should say on the PSU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom