OCd X24200+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekustix

Baseband Member
I just got into overclocking, and as a complete beginner, I've currently got my AMD X2 4200+ 2.2GHz OCd to 2.42GHz.

I've got my FSB speed at 220MHz and my multiplyer at 11. The CPU is at 1.500v. It idles at about 36c, and I just checked it while playing Call of Duty 2 at the highest settings and it was hovering around 50c. Are these safe settings to be running right now? I haven't touched the RAM or the VGA yet, as I'm still not quite sure how to tweak them.

Also, my BIOS will not let me raise the CPU voltage past 1.675. I'm assuming this is a kind of safety feature, but would I have to raise it any higher than 1.675?

Again, I am completely new to OCing, but I'm doing my best to get into by reading tutorials and articles online etc..

1.7vcore can fry the memory controller so that yes I suppose it is a safety precaution. Assuming you have not touched the RAM, you have to put it on a divider so that it doesn't interfere with stability. 1.5 for a 200MHz increase seems ridiculous

although those temps are pretty good
as long as there accurate
also how satble is it running at those speeds and voltages

What is the best way for testing stability? I'm also fairly certain the temperature readings are accurate, becuase I'm running CPU temp monitor software that came with my mobo (Asus A8N-SLI), and I have a monitor on the CPU heatsink which is displayed on the front of the case. The two temperatures are fairly consistant.

Also, gaara, again I am a very beginner, so I am not sure what you mean by putting the RAM on a divider.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: I realized in my first post I said my 4200+ came clocked at 2.0GHz, it was originally 2.2GHz. Not sure how I made that mistake...

One of the best ways of testing for stability is to use a program called Prime95, all you need to do is download it

open it up ---> click on options ---> torture test ---> then click ok / go

If your system is stable, it should run prime95 through a minimum 7 hours without any errors, therefore I reccomend you put prime on when you sleep so you don't have to wait 7 hours :)

WorldIndustries said:
Lower the HyperTransport rate from 1000MHz to 800 or 600MHz, if you want to overclock more.

I've got a few options under the hypertransport speed menu. 1x,2x,3x,4x,5x, and auto. Which option should I choose to achieve this?

I'm also looking into the Thermaltake Venus 12 CPU fan...thoughts?

I just lowered it to 4x, but as soon as I pass 220MHz FSB, the system won't boot. It boots fine at 220MHz/1.500v, but even with a 1.600v it still will not boot correctly at 221 MHz.

Why is this?

Umm, I suggest you research more before you continue overclocking. At the rate you're going, your CPU will be a smoldering pile of silicon burning a neat hole through your mobo in a week or less.

Lower your voltages, all the way back to 1.4V, before we have to listen to you complaining about killing your CPU. I'm not being funny, see this as very good advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom