windows icons inactive :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

osiris_v

Beta member
Hey guys, Im new here...so first off HELLO ALL!!!..hows everyone doing

I have this IBM T23 and its acting up thx to my GF.

I have no idea what she did, but It loads up the OS fine (windows xp pro sp2) and everything goes well until I hit the desktop icons, and thats where everything goes bad.

Iam able to move the mouse pointer around, but cant click on any icon..its like it wont respond to double left click on any icons on the desktop or rightclick on any icon on the desktop. Msn messenger sign in screen pops up and I cant minimize it, cuz again i click on minimize button and it wont go away, it stays frozen on the screen.

CTRL+ ALT+ DEL gets me to task manager which says my processor usage rate is hovering around 1-10 percent nothing higher. Went into processes shut down all non essential processes (messenger, incd, etc etc) still no luck.

Something strange i noticed, I move the cursor around on the desktop its fine, but the moment i hover it over the task bar or system tray at the bottom it turns into the hour glass...so wierd. Safe mode acts the same way as well, cant use any icons...Task manager is the only thing that helps me right now by popping up ..nothing else does...Soo confused as to what the problem could be....NEED HELP ..any help PLZ...or suggestions would be greatlyappreciated

Anyone had a problem like this at all?

talldude123 said:
post a hijackthis log. Download link is below in my signature.

the link has expired? ill try and search for it on google

btw thanks for all the help so far you two...

Edit: solved the problem...machine working fine now...Thanks for the suggestions and help again... :)

tkey said:
what was the prob?

some kinda virus was involved..thats for sure, my older virus scan program did not have the updated definitions. Took it to my friends computer store and he ran a detailed scan with updated definitions of course, and vola! problem solved...of course he had to take the drive out of the IBM and plug it into another system and scan the drive from there, cuz it was non responsive to any of the mouse button clicks or keyboard quick keys ..exception being CTRL+ALT+DEL

Im trying to pin point as to which virus Was responsible for it, my friend told me he found over 69 virus instances..or detections per se. God i hate lending stuff out ...but w/e its fixed now and thats all i care for....

Anyways, time to upgrade my virus scanner..actually deleting the older one and updating with new one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom