Slot 1 - Universal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjølen

Baseband Member
My parents are still using our old Gateway 400MHz Pentium II. Yeah... I want an upgrade for them. Now, they have an Intel MP440BX motherboard. The P2 processor is a Slot1. I was curious, if I were to buy, say a 1000MHz Pentium III (133MHz) Slot1 CPU, would I have a popsicle's chance in **** of it working? I sort of don't want to upgrade the motherboard, because my parents don't want to have to go through a Windows re-install. Any ideas what I can do?

if i were you i would try and get a hold of a slotketand at the very least you should be able to use a s370 coppermine cpu up to ~1ghz. i think 1ghz+ is out of the question though as though i can't remember the chipset models you need one that was nicknamed the "universal chipset" to use tualatin based PIII's/Celeron's and that chipset wasn't available for Slot1.......at least i don't think it was.

Yes, Windows installation is very easy, but see, I have to upgrade this system without my parents noticing. They don't like it when I change anything on their computer, because they don't wan to lose their precious emails, greetings cards, and that crap. That is why I cannot reinstall Windows, I just need to add a new processor (and maybe some RAM) without an entire rehaul. I just wanted to know if I could put this in:
http://stores.chrosmack.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=2094339

o ****...then dont upgrade. chances are, that the proc wont work and it will fry the motherboard, resulting in months of grounding, yelling, GET YOUR *** IN HERE NOW!!! crap. best way to do that, is just get another pc all together and use that for experiments. i got about 4 slot 1 compaq's and one got a slocket, one got a 333, one got a 266, one got a 233, and then the last one, tadada, 733mhz...the slocket is got a 533 celeron on it, and the 733 is a pimped-to-the-max pentium 3, oced from like 500, now screamin happily along in my living-room, hooked up to my television, for movies and such, runnin 2000 sp4. but dont mess with it, youl probably break it, and be totaly screwed, having to rob ur middle school for one, keep ur parents away from it, and dont get caught all the whole while...

EDIT: ps, a bx wont run a coppermine, tho, 440lx does(i think...GOOGLE!!!)

Uhh, no. The worst I can get is the processor not being recognized. The chances of the CPU actually frying the motherboard are very slim. And my parents are extremely apathetic. While they don't want me to change anything, if I do, and it works, and they don't lose their precious data, then they won't really care.

Anyway, now I'm looking at this $26 dollar, Pentium III 1000MHz:
http://www.spartantech.com/products.asp?orderid=43892897665537661314009&cat=6

Do you think the fact that the CPU runs at 133MHz bus wouldn't work because the 400MHz P2 only runs at 100MHz? Or in Slot 1, does the bus entirely depend on the processor? I know a lot about building newer computers, but it's the older ones that confuse me.

yea i live on old junkers from the trash...i got the same board in what im using right now, and on the one with the slocket, its got an i440lx chipset, says max of 533, but my p3 says otherwize(diff between lx and bx is the bx is a lilbit newer...)before you try anything, update the bios, that will update some cpu codes(bios cpu drivers) back up all of there stuff to an ipod or something so they dont go bonkers, update everything, get some cooling for it, and install it, dont forget thermal paste on sink, turn on, watch, listen, smell, anything weird, unplug it, go back to old one. dont forget to ground urself and tap the case before you start. hope thats enough. it will work, but u wont get the full 1.0 ghz, just a fraction of it.

I think the PII you currently have uses a 100MHZ FSB. considering it is 400MHZ (100 x 4 is an even number)

if your motherboard doesn't support a 133MHZ FSB, that Pentium 3 you're looking at will only run at 750MHZ
that's also provided your motherboard can run Pentium 3's at all.

lemme see what it go down to on that....k 133fsb, 733 total, so 733/133 so it has a multiplier of 5.5. on ur system, u got 100fzb, so 5.5*100=550, so u only get a bump of 150mhz, which isnt alot...

EDIT: oops...wrong numbers(did that like 3 in the morn or something) :(. heres the right stuff, even tho apokalipse already said it. a 1ghz proc that has 133mhz fsb has a clock multiplier of 7.5 to reach 1ghz. On your system, however, you have a 100mhz fsb, so with the same clock multiplier(7.5) you should get around 750mhz. heres some simple math for ya(133*7.5=1000, ur system would be 100*7.5=750)

bmxfreakrider, I don't know where you got those numbers from, but I'm pretty sure you didn't get them from MY system.

Anyway, apokalipse, thanks for the help. If it helps you at all, I have installed 133MHz RAM and it knocks it down to 100MHz, so yes, at the moment, 100MHz bus. Plenty of issues have run through my mind, such as the bus speed compatability, power supply, P3 support and the like. I'm at a loss here, all I really want to know is whether or not I should spend $26 on a CPU that might not even work. Well, with a Pentium III 1000MHz for $26, you can't really go wrong, eh? I'm sure to find some use for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom