defrag question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdansjr

In Runtime
The IT guy at my work was telling me today that I could get my home computer to run a little faster by using both Auslogics Disk Defrag and Ram Def. Has anyone ever used these programs? I have always just used the disk defrag that comes with XP, and i've never defraged the RAM. are these programs good, or will I just waste my time? And dont' ask about how the conversation came up about these programs, I'm not ever sure myself, he just sometimes starts talking:/

in my opinion diskeeper is by far the best defrag program out there it is way better than windows defrag. i used to defrag my ram all the time using a different program but didnt really notice much of a difference and have no need to defrag it now that i have 2gb

I'm not sure about the Disk Defrag utility, but as far as the RAM defrag utility... The only time you'll need to defrag the ram is if you don't want to reboot. Personally I fell better rebooting my system when I'm noticing a loss in performance rather than trying to run a million tools that will take much longer than a reboot.

The only system I have ever used a RAM defrag utility on was one of our servers at work that coulnd't be rebooted without causing a large interrupt in service (I know, bad server design... :p). The defrag worked decently, but nothing compares to a reboot.

jcortes said:
in my opinion diskeeper is by far the best defrag program out there it is way better than windows defrag. i used to defrag my ram all the time using a different program but didnt really notice much of a difference and have no need to defrag it now that i have 2gb

Agreed, i use diskeeper 10 and its great, i also have 2gigs so no need to defrag it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom