Strange Cooling Fan Observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jettdg

Beta member
I was recently installing a new hard disk drive in an IBM Aptiva Netvista - P4 2.4 Ghz. I'm guessing that the system is around 4 years old. While working on the system, I noticed that both the CPU and the case cooling fans do not spin up until after the system has been powered on for several minutes. I've not seen this happen on a PC before. I've been under the impression that the cooling fans should be spinning whenever the system is energized. Is this some sort of advanced power management / cooling solution, or should I be concerned that the power supply / cooling fans could be malfunctioning?

Thanks,
dgj

Hmmmm...

I wonder if it could be a BIOS or software setting.

For example: Asus "Cool n' Quiet" utility - varies the speed of the CPU fan.

Maybe the PSU is getting ready to give up the ghost.

Like Syrillian said, I bet it's just something like Cool 'n Quiet. It probably just turns it on after a certain temperature is reached.

thats perfectly fine my school has that kind of computer too and the fans turn on and off based on cpu load and temp so that's fine.

edit: you should install speed fan and watch the temps to make sure.

my dad has an IBM Netvista (i think) and it does the same thing when i was working on it, i have found no way of changing this, but it doesnt bother me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom