10-15s freezes on Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

In Runtime
Recently my computer has started to freeze on the Internet for 10-15 seconds before returning to normal. I am unable to do anything while it is frozen. It seems to occur randomly but particularly when signing into MSN messenger. I have Norton anti-virus installed and regularly carry out checks on a weekly basis. I also have McAfee personal firewall installed. Could it be the firewall, which is causing these persistant freezes. I am using AOL but I do not think that this has anything to do with this.

Can anyone suggest why it keeps doing this?

The firewall can do it but do you have a anti-spyware program on your computer like ad aware?

Like i said the firewall can do it so turn it off and surf the internet and if it doesnt do it then that is what it is.

If it still does it, turn off norton and then try surfing the internet.

I would also recommen getting rid of AOL. It is expensive and worthless. Get regular dial up or go with broadband. Both of which arent too much more expensive depending on what area your in.

Yeh I have ad aware and use it regularly and rarely does anything come up. I'll try using the Internet without the anti-virus, and firewall software. I have a feeling it might be Norton anti-virus trying to get live updates. Good point about AOL, Im currently on AOL BROADBAND and want to change as soon as possible. Problem is I heard from someone that it does not uninstall itself fully and can affect other ISPs on your machine, i.e. cause them to not work etc. Apparently the only way to get rid of it is to format your HD completely. It just ruins our right to free choice.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom