7900GT 256mb or 512mb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. 128MB is good, 256MB is slightly better, but beyond that, it doesn't really matter.

Nukem said:
the 256MB will do you just fine.. but I can make a couple of suggestions by looking at your system.

X-Fi... to me is overrated... my audigy 2 ZS sounds just as good with half the price.

the E6400 will save you a little and you can OD the difference. the L2 Cache is not that much performance wise from what I have read. (I do not have the chip)

the lian li case is nice, but you can fine cheaper... think about your air flow and what you want. Use Newegg for a reference. the advanced search is very nice is narrowing down what you want.

Actually that is why the cpu's can get up to that speed. @mb l2 cache is great to have but if you want mre bower get the e6600 like you already are doing. The 2mb more is a great power boost.
I would also suggest overclocking to atlesat 3.0ghz because the processer are very good at those speeds.

I have had experience with both the 256mb KO, and the 512mb golden sample 'goes like he ll edition' which I believe is slightly faster than the 512mb 7900GT you're looking at, but if that's anything to go by then your looking at a nice performance difference when playing at high resolutions, and when playing games with detailed textures such as oblivion.

However as said above the 256mb is just as good i'd say at 1280x1024 and below.

LU4sTrooper said:
I have had experience with both the 256mb KO, and the 512mb golden sample 'goes like he ll edition' which I believe is slightly faster than the 512mb 7900GT you're looking at, but if that's anything to go by then your looking at a nice performance difference when playing at high resolutions, and when playing games with detailed textures such as oblivion.

However as said above the 256mb is just as good i'd say at 1280x1024 and below.

Thats really usefull, Cheers. the native res of the monitor (930bf) is 1280*1024 so I'll go with the 256MB version.

Wouldn't the 512mb matter, if you're playing graphic intensive games that use up alot of memory? Like BF2 or Oblivion?

Complete change of plan :D now going for:

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI - Retail

Turns out this sapphire card is the same price as the 256mb 7900GT KO I was looking at... Bargain.

Edit: I don't know much about ATI cards. I am right in thinking that this card is quite a bit better than the 7900GT KO ?

Nice card... I have heard of some 1900 cards besting a 7900GT but I think it depends on the card maker itself... but if you got what you wanted, that's all that matters, right?

go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom