Going with intel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You spelled here wrong.

Doesnt matter how much is supported. I never said that 2GB would not be supported, I said that it would not be UTILIZED anytime soon. Meaning, you will not be running programs that take up more than 2GB for some time now. Current games take up 1.3GB of memory at most. WinXP needs 256MB to run its background tasks. When Vista comes out, it will need 512MB to run its background tasks. 2GB will still be enough.

Besides, you have to pay out of your backside for decent 4GB memory right now. And good luck trying to overclock with it.

TriEclipse said:
4GB would be pointless as you will never utilize that much RAM. Plus, WindowsXP will only recognize 3GB max.

read the whole tread before you comment next time. they're talking about upgrading to 3 or 4 Gb with a vista OS.

TriEclipse said:
Did I mention you will never be able to utilize more than 2GB of memory? :)

no...he will. vista is gonna be a very power hungry OS and plus games right now are starting to need 1+Gb of ram to max out games...games in the future will definately use around 2+Gb and consider doing other stuff while playing games...and XP Pro x64 can work just fine w/ 3 and 4 Gb of ram

Dont talk to me like that or Ill hang you upside down. :)

Read my above post. You repeat what others say, do some of your own research. Yea, Vista will be power hungry - It will take twice the amount of memory that XP does to run it. But when the numbers show 512MB, from 256MB, that\\\'s not that much. I already said in my above post that games take a max of 1.3GB of memory currently. Add 512MB from Vista to that, and you still have some left over with 2GB.

I never said XP-64 doesnt work with 3 or 4GB. Did I ever say that? I dont recall.

You people need to learn the difference between ACCESSING and UTILIZING.

TriEclipse said:
Dont talk to me like that or Ill hang you upside down. :)

Read my above post. You repeat what others say, do some of your own research. Yea, Vista will be power hungry - It will take twice the amount of memory that XP does to run it. But when the numbers show 512MB, from 256MB, that\\\'s not that much. I already said in my above post that games take a max of 1.3GB of memory currently. Add 512MB from Vista to that, and you still have some left over with 2GB.

I never said XP-64 doesnt work with 3 or 4GB. Did I ever say that? I dont recall.

i know it's just an expample...why have it be compatable if you will NEVER be able to use it?

and i'm not saying that it'll be useful now. oh no sir. in the future...yes.

and if you don't wanna be questioned on your intelect (well that's not really what i was questioning so don't be offended please.) then don't make claims and statements with the words NEVER or ALWAYS in them...that's all i'm really saying. It's both possible and probable that it'll happen.

Fair enough, I shouldnt use never, since we will eventually be using more than 2GB. Which kind of answers the question of why so much is supported. Vista is going to be around for a while, so it needs to look ahead. Then again, why not support it if you can. Windows XP, being a 32-bit OS, can only support so much memory (4GB with tweaks). Having a 64-bit OS lets you design a lot more into it, including the ability to access relatively enormous amounts of memory. Thats also how WinXP-64bit can access so much. However...while we will surely use more than 2GB of memory in the future, I find it hard to imagine that we will be using anywhere close to the 64GB or 128GB that Vista supports, before the OS reaches its EOL. Since Win2K, we have quadrupled out memory usage. Even if its quadrupled again, thats still only 8GB. Probably more useful to servers.

true and this is my personal opinion not research or anything but i think that computer technology is going to grow exponentionally and rather be around 16 GB or instead of 8GB because computers are being used more and more commonly all over adn used for about anything you can think of.

to the guy who started this tread...sorry for taking the attention off of it. i'm done debating now.

i think that the rig you posted would be fine for vista. and like TriEclipse said. 4gb of ram would be expensive now so you probably shouldn't upgrade that for a while because once Vista comes out and 2+ Gb ram sticks become more popular the price of 1gb sticks will go down.

sorry again man. i didn't mean to sidetrack the tread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom