Question regarding subwoofers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Indeed.
Here is my question: I have a 2.1 speaker system. If I were to open up it up and split the wires going to the sub (the actual speaker part inside the box), and hook those up to the input of another self-amplified sub (like the kind you would find in a home theatre package) would this work? Or would it be bad to have a pre-amplified signal going into an amplified sub?

I hope this makes sense, it is late and I am tired

Thanks

No.... you can't do that. Well, you can, but its NOT a healthy idea. Basically, you will fry the inputs of the powered sub over time.

What you CAN do is split the signal before amplification... just go to radio shack and get a splitter. I dont know if the powered sub has a crossover built in though... if it doesn't, then it will attempt to play all frequencies instead of just the lows. If it does, then you're good to go.

Okay, gotcha, thats what I was wondering. I will try to test out your other idea as well.

My other option is to set my integrated sound card for 6 channel and only use the jacks for the left, right, and LFE (using an 1/8" to RCA cable).

Thanks for the help

you'll definitely fry the inputs, unless they were design to handle 9 to 30 volt input. it would be distorted anyway.

never send amplified power out to a pre amp level input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom