Parts questions Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike314

Solid State Member
Have some questions about parts for my PC gaming Rig

1. Is there anything wrong with a 15,000 RPM hard drive??? Or is that mainly for servers and not really worth it for a gaming PC. Should I just stick to a 10,000 RPM for now which is proven technology???
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=11/popup4%5B%5D=10:392

2. Is the Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 965 Dual-Core CPU w/HT Technology 3.73GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB Cache EM64T still a good processor??? Compared to a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache is the Extreme Edition a better choice??? I ask because a lot of gaming rigs I see have the 965, and Intel says it is great for gaming

3. Stupid question for a liquid cooling system do you ever have to change the liquid??

4. What is the difference between the PC Power & Cooling TURBO-COOL 850 Watt Power Supply that outputs 850Watts and the NZXT PF-500 500Watt Power Supply that outputs 500watts? why would you need a stronger power supply and what kind is best for gaming???

1. Nothing wrong with 15K RPM Drives you will need a SCSI card to interface them however. If you have the money and want only the best then SCSI is the way to go, if you want the middle man then raptors (10K RPM Dirves) are good also.

2. Depends on how much you want to spend I don't know prices off the top of my head but if you want the best and have the money then go conroe.

3. Never have to change the liquid, might have to refill if you have evaporation problems or leaks.

4. Obviously the PC Power and cooling has a max output of 850 Watts while the other power supply you mentioned may only have a Max output of 500 Watts. Max output is NOT important though, continious output is try to find that information.
PC Power and cooling is top of the line and the best to buy if you want to spend the money. The Higher quality components you put into a pc the higher quality power supply you will want. I have never seen the NZXT PF-500 500Watt Power Supply, so could you give us a link.
Depending on the components used in the build and how much you want to spend determines the power supply to buy. You can't really go wrong if you look for these brands.
Antec/Enermax/OCA/Hiper Type R/PC Power and cooling/ Fortron

I agree with everything STE said execpt the liquid in a water cooling system is normally suggested to be changed every 6-12 months.

2. Is the Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 965 Dual-Core CPU w/HT Technology 3.73GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB Cache EM64T still a good processor??? Compared to a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache is the Extreme Edition a better choice??? I ask because a lot of gaming rigs I see have the 965, and Intel says it is great for gaming

Go for the core 2 duo everytime!

Even the most basic model (the e6300) can be overclocked to be as powerful as the high range AMD chips, and the higher-end 1s are insane, I personally have an e6600 and I tell you it flies, it really is something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom