Which way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

colt1911

Solid State Member
I've always been a AMD fan and I'm getting ready to upgrade. My problem is to either go with AM2 or switch to Intel ( conroe ) either way it will be a new Mobo, Cpu and memory. If I go with AM2 will it be compatiable with the new CPU's coming out next year if not then what would be the best setup for the money. This is my current setup.

My System
Asus AN8 SLI Premium mobo
Amd 64x2 4400+ dual core cpu
Enermax 600watt psu
2 6800 GS Evga 256mb boards
2 gb of Cosair dual channel pc3200 (4 x 512 )
Pri. HD WD 10,000 rpm 74gb sata raptor
Sec > HD WD 7200 rpm 250gb sata
HP DL DVD lightscribe burner
NEC DL DVD burner
Case Aspire Navigator
:cool:

Definatly go with conroe, it will totally blast past any cpu out right now, it will be a little more expensive(motherboard) but you will thatnk yourself later.

Yeah, Intel is the way to go only if yu don't get the e6300. It is the worst of the conroe series even though It overclock like mad.
Am2 will be back compat but the cpu's still wont be better that the conroes by far.

well yeah amd pretty much sucks right now, but i think the next genamd cpu is going to kick major ***. way better then the conroe. i say save up.

go with what you know... if you like AMD then get AM2. if your looking for bragging rights and want to overclock like mad and have the "best" system for about 2 weeks then go for the bandwagon (Conroe)

The Conroe series are good chips, don't get me wrong... but the hareware right now are killer expensive... mob's alone will cost 150 or more... even the cheap one...

each company is trying to out perform the other so you will NEVER have the best for any great lenth of time...

massacreinfallx said:
well yeah amd pretty much sucks right now, but i think the next genamd cpu is going to kick major ***. way better then the conroe. i say save up.

So just keep waiting forever? K8L wont be out for another year.

Nukem said:
go with what you know... if you like AMD then get AM2. if your looking for bragging rights and want to overclock like mad and have the best system for about 2 weeks then go for the bandwagon (Conroe)

The Conroe series are good chips, dont get me wrong... but the hareware right now are killer expensive... mobs alone will cost 150 or more... even the cheap one...

each company is trying to out perform the other so you will NEVER have the best for any great lenth of time...

Dont mind him ^. Hes got something against Conroe, I dont know what.

Just study this bit. A cheap AMD AM2 motherboard still costs $100+. If you pair it with AMDs price equivalent of the E6300 processor, you get to buy a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ that costs $187. If youre lucky, this 2.2Ghz processor will overclock to 2.6Ghz, or somewhere around there.

Now lets see here. A good Core 2 Duo motherboard costs $150. The E6300 processor costs $193. Would you like to know the overclock you could get with this processor, on a $150 Gigabyte DS3? 3.4Ghz. Indeed, 3.4Ghz of sweet Core 2 Duo goodness. Note that AMD processors cannot even overclock to 3.4Ghz (and this is on air cooling), much less match the performance. Wanna know how fast an AMD X2 would have to be to match this processor? 4.25Ghz.

No AMD processor, single-core or dual-core, air cooling or liquid nitrogen, has EVER reached a speed of 4.25GHz.

So spend $287 and get 2.6Ghz in AMD speed. Or spend $343 and get 3.4Ghz in C2D speed, equivalent to 4.25Ghz in AMD speed? And get a processor that no AMD will touch as long as the K8 architecture is aroound.

Your call.

I just went through the same agonizing conundrum! What an exhausting experience! I'm not a Fanboy-type, but I just like AMD as a company better than Intel. I'm a sucker for underdogs.

In the end I did order up a E6400 conversion pkg.

I know that when AMD Quad-cores are released I will be trying one of those. I just couldn't resist giving the C2D's the old college try.

Yeah. Conroe kicks as and It will be about 2 years for amd to catch up, and I love amd. Just love the intel tenology better.

But to get a really good borad on the new side of things that he will beable to stll upgrade on is going to coast $150 so go with conroe. Much better, for a little more buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom