can't copy any files to anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardeez1

Baseband Member
alright i just kinda screwed up my computer with partition magic but i got it working again kind of .. now it doesn't display the task bar & stuff.. but it won't let me copy files to anywhere off of it... i'm trying to put some stuff on a usb flash drive & it won't let me... files won't drag over to it & when i try to copy & paste the paste is inactive... oh also it won't let me play any music which i don't know why... i'm planning on reformatting the whole thing once i get my 300 gb external hd i ordered but i just want to be able to get everything off of it... any suggestions? thanks.

When you get your new drive, install your operating syatem and then connect your old drive as a slave. Copy what you need then format it.

Fastvan67 said:
When you get your new drive, install your operating syatem and then connect your old drive as a slave. Copy what you need then format it.

alright, i don't know what that means but i'll try it lol. thanks

When you get your new drive. Disconnect your old drive. Partision and format your new drive. Install your operating system. Change the drive pin located new the ribbon that that deems this drive master or slave. You want to make this a slave drive. Turn off your computer. Install the old drive onto the same ribbon that attaches your new drive. Attach the power connector. Turn on your computer. Most systems now auto scans for a new drive anyway so it should be listed in your operating system. After Window boots up, go to "My Computer". You should now see 2 drives. Drice C is your new hard drive. The other is your old drive. Open the old drive and copy over the files that you need. Once you have copied over what you need, you can do just about anything with the drive from there. Like format it, give it away, throw it away, etc..

I hope this helped a little better

shouldnt...some newer pc's support booting thru usb, so yea, u prob can install windows on it. i wouldnt trust it tho, cause if it comes unplugged while the pc is running, its like...er...IS like pulling the harddrive, so it will freeze, so you gotta restart. speakin of, hey guys, does ne1 out there know the transfer rate of ide?

well i really just want a way to get all my files off it that i want then reformat the whole thing... what's the easiest way?

Burning software? Copy to a computer over the network. If u cant get the files off the HDD, like fastvan said, you need to install windows on a new hdd, connect your old hdd, and copy the files from the old hdd to the new hdd.

Biggie578 said:
Burning software? Copy to a computer over the network. If u cant get the files off the HDD, like fastvan said, you need to install windows on a new hdd, connect your old hdd, and copy the files from the old hdd to the new hdd.

ok but i dont know how to do that. my new hard drive is an external one so could you please explain? & i cant copy them over a network or anything cuz files like won't even drag if i try. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom