Lag while loading explorer/taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

MvD

Baseband Member
When I load up my installation of WinXP Pro on my Amilo M4348G laptop, all that I see is my desktop wallpaper (all my icons are disabled). The taskbar/start menu doesn't load and I dont get a context menu when I right click on the desktop. Task Manger works and it displays explorer.exe as running.

After a minute or so the taskbr loads up and all the applications in my startup list start to load.

A few things that I noticed:

In the task manager, many processes do not have a 'USER NAME'. All these processess are system processess. For example 'lsass.exe' 'winlogon.exe' 'svchost.exe' All the processess that are in my startup list display the 'USER NAME' in the Task Manager fine. The only process system process that has something under the 'USER NAME' column is 'System Idle Process'. But that's to be expected since System Idle Process isn't really a real process.

Another wierd thing is that the Welcome screen hangs around for quite a while. A lot longer than windows installation I used.

Thirdly, the Computer Info (the place where the model of your processor and Ram info are displayed) under System Properties>General>Computer takes a certain amount of time to be displayed. And this lag happen only if I reload explorer.exe before it loads by itself during system startup.

I ran the standard measures including Virus Scanning (AVG, are there any better online scanners?), spyware scanning and various diagnostic measures such as booting diagnostic startup. I also snooped around the system event viewer and didn't find any errors during startup.

P.S. Technically my laptop does not support Win XP Pro, but I dont think this is the cause of the problem as the differences between Pro and Home are minimal. Furthermore, I had a similar problem before on my desktop, except that the taskbar would load, but loading programs would be laggy and all processess would have no info under the 'USER NAME' column in Task Manager. However once an application would load, the 'USER NAME' column would be fine.

hmm, I dont think its regural spyware or virus. It seems to be a windows quirk, I'll those things though.

you might also try a repair on the os if all else fails perhapse its a corrupt file.

jcortes said:
you might also try a repair on the os if all else fails perhapse its a corrupt file.

I doubt thats the problem, once explorer loads everything works fine. If a file is corrupt that would cause just some lag, secondly system event viewer gives no error during startup.

Of course, I can always do a OS reinstall, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

oh ya just thought of that :) . what are your system specs and when did this start happening?

Pentium M 2.0 GHz
1 GB Ram
GeForce Go 256 mb (using 84.25 drivers with hacked INF file)
100GB HDD (around 25% free - defragmented yesterday)

A computer with such specs should not have a one minute delay between the desktop appearing and the taskbar/startup applications loading.

Startup Applications:
Adobe Acrobat Reader Speedup Application
Rainledar
Zonealarm
AVG Free
Realtek Sound Effect Panel
Nvidia Panel
Motorola SM56 Modem Helper
VIA Raid Tool (wtf does this do, it appeared after I upgraded RAID drivers to the latest version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom