Would this be an effective cooling solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xfatalherox

Baseband Member
I found an interesting article over on Overclockers.com explaining how you can dramatically decrease CPU & Motherboard temps by mounting a fan on the backside of the motherboard blowing directly under where the CPU is.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1177/

Has anyone here tried this? Anyone recommend this?

Seems like a good idea...sounds like an interesting case mod. I'd want to do it very cleanly though....calls to bust out my trusty dremel. I bought it for working on my car and now it's come in handy for my other obsession!

Youd need a fairly large case to have enough room between the mobo tray and the side panel to mount a high speed fan, generally 80x38mm or 120x38mm, so if anything youd need to use one of zalmans 80x15 mm fans

i'm guessing the fan would have to be mounted on the outside of the case.... theres really not alot of room between my case and mobo, nor w/ any i've seen.

seems cool. i would want to try that but i dont really want to cut a hole in my crappy 30$ case.

aspire.comptech said:
Youd need a fairly large case to have enough room between the mobo tray and the side panel to mount a high speed fan, generally 80x38mm or 120x38mm, so if anything youd need to use one of zalmans 80x15 mm fans

nah, you could use like 4 60mm or 50mm fans. look online, newegg has a bunch of them.

if it's a crappy $30 case, why not?

great point

it says the fan should be on the outside unless there is some space between there.

so you may want to start reading.

Good idea, I think im going to do this on my server box later today. Theres not enough room to mount it on the inside but thats okay seeing as its under my desk anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom