Keyboard and Mouse Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

porter4489

Beta member
When I turn on my computer my keyboard doesn't work. The lights are on for a short period but then they turn off. My mouse only works for about 5 mins and then it stops working. Please help.

Thanks

Hello,

Are they wireless or wired, and what connection do they use...USB or PS/2?

So does this happen in Windows only? Or are you unable to use the keyboard during POST (when the PC powers up, and pressing the specific key to enter the BIOS, for example).

Also, have you tried safe mode to see if the same occurs?

They are both wired using a usb connection. When the computer is just turned and the black screen appears it says the keyboard has failed.

Hello,

Alright. Scrap the safe mode idea then :D.

The first thing I would try is resetting the BIOS CMOS by removing the lithium battery from the motherboard for a minute of two, then placing it back in. Following that, power up the PC and see if the same happens.

Hello,

Alright. Sorry I didn't notice that both were using USB.

Has your USB keyboard worked before when connected to this system, from power up?

Most likely, your PC isn't detecting a keyboard connected to the PS/2 port so it thinks there is not keyboard present despite the fact that you have a USB keyboard connected.

Go into your BIOS and see if there is an option like USB Legacy Support or similar. If there is, make sure the option is enabled.

If there is no USB Legacy support, then it's likely that you won't be able to get past the Power On Self Test process, or have the USB keyboard work, without a PS/2 keyboard connected to the PS/2 port...unless your system has booted successfully before with just a USB keyboard connected, and in this case it's likely to be your BIOS settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom