Question about OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.. as vaderpro said ocing can fry your components if you don't take a look out for your temps + if you set the voltage too high. I think someone mentioned here that you should not set the temp over 1.65 V, even though the max voltage setting for my 3500+ is 1.55V

If the fsb is 220Mhz you should be upping the voltage by about .5V, if that's stable then your good, if not try upping it to like .75V, if not then try 1V

At 220 you may need to set a divider, do this by lowering the speed of your ram by 166MHZ, that's like a 5/6 divider.

Why do I need to lower my ram speeds at 220?

Where can I download a good divider?

Edit: Ok I just took a chance and OC'ed it to 220mhz and set the voltage to 1.440. Computer seems to be running normal at the moment, but I am also running Prime95 to see how things turn out.

You don't download dividers, a divider is basically lowering the speed of your RAM. You can do this in your ram, you can see options saying
200 Mhz
166 Mhz
133 Mhz
100 Mhz

That's for pc3200 ram I think, there are other options which other mobos provide. Set your ram to 166Mhz
And are you doing a blend test with prime?

vaderpro said:
Listen and READ VERY CAREFULLY what all the previous post have said.

They failed to mention that overclocking can FRY your components.....RENDER THEM USELESS, so you would then have to go out and BUY new components/hardware...ie adding voltage to anything increases the temp...high temps are bad for computer hardware...SLOW DOWN...increase in small increments , NOT to 260!!!!
heh, not much chance. unless the heatsink was extremely badly designed, and/or you upped the voltage way too high...

the most that will happen in 99.99% of cases is:
your PC becomes unstable
your PC won't run, because the CPU and/or RAM can't handle the frequency the system is trying to make it run at. that means they won't fry, but they just won't work at that speed. just reset the BIOS and you'll be fine.

but yeah, big jumps in overclocks are usually not successful.

Ok when I go into BIOS I cant find anything that controls my RAM's mhz?

Im just wondering why do I lower my RAM speed from 200mhz to 166mhz?

Also do I bump my CPU CORE VOLTAGE? Or do I bump my NFORCE4 Voltage?

This is because when OCING, your ram is always the first component [some exceptions but rare] to 'hit the wall' this means that the component cannot be oc'd any further. When the ram cannot be oc'd any further, it affects the cpu causing it to not oc any further. Adding a divider allows you to oc more until you hit a wall with the ram so therefore you can oc the CPU more. Dividers slow down performance minorly, but they are essential if you want to oc alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom