Question about OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayvon

In Runtime
Hello everyone, I'm just wondering how much I can OC my cpu? Its a AMD 3200+.

How high can I set the mhz and volt to? Whats the norm on that when OC'ing AMD 3200's?

My Bios says that the settings are -
Cpu Fsb - 200mhz
Cpu voltage - 1.400v

So how high can I increase the settings too?
If I do OC the CPU, will I have to OC my RAM also?
If so can someone please explain step by step for me please to insure safety.

Thanks in advance.

Specs are -

AMD 3200+ Zalman Fan
450 Watt PSU
KN8 Abit Motherboard
x2 1gb Gskill Ram
eVga 7900gt KO
Samsung 250gb HDD

You can't put an exact oc speed, every cpu even the same cpu brand and make and model doesn't oc the same, maybe some will at coincidence but heh.. You can have a search around the forums to see what results people have gotten with their 3200+ and using that as a guideline to what you may expect.
Here's a brief of what you should be doing to OC, of course it's not a full version telling you exactly every step but you can then read the amd 64 ocing sticky to get more details.

1. Get into bios, take a look around
2. Find an option which allows you to up the Cpu FSB, it's in MHZ.
3. The already inserted speed there should be 200 Mhz? Up that by 1 - 5 Mhz only at a time
4. Save settings, back into windows, download prime95, do a Blend Torture test, if it can go through a minimum of 7 hours without any errors then your system is stable
5. If it cannot get through 7 hours of prime95 w/o any errors then you can up the cpu voltage by .25 / .5, back into windows do a test
6. Look out for your LDT multi in your bios, when ocing from 200Mhz - 250 MHZ fsb it should be set at 4x, when going from 250 Mhz + then it should be at 3x, about 300 Mhz + which is unlikely you reach that then it should be at 2x
7. If upping cpu voltage doesn't stabilize the system and get you through prime95 then consider upping RAM voltage by .25 / .5 or some mobos only allow upping 1V intervals so up it by 1V [or is it only my mobo?]
8. Keep checking your temps, a good idle temp is 20 - 35 ish degrees, when under heavy loads [i.e when being stress tested] it should be around 36 - 50 degrees.
9. If system still doesn't stabilize consider adding a ram divider, read the a64 ocing sticky for this

There you go.. I think I've missed out something but uhh..
Anyway.. if your system doesn't boot, try getting into bios and lower your settings, if not clear your cmos mobo w/e. It should say how to do that somewhere on here
Good luck=]

I really appreciate it Willeh. I will read this over and over to understand it, but I am completely new to all this. So all the mhz and volts and 2x your talking about is really confusing to me lol.

apokalipse said:
your motherboard supports up to 1.8V for your CPU. but I'd recommend not going above 1.6V. maybe 1.65 tops.

Oh really why is that? Cant get atleast .20v close to .80 the max volts?

the main parts of overclocking:
CPU multiplier and HTT speed

CPU core speed = CPU multiplier x HTT speed

your CPU has a multiplier of 10

at 200 HTT speed, your CPU is 200 x 10 = 2000MHZ

increasing the HTT will increase the CPU speed.
at the same time, it also increases the RAM speed. the RAM speed equals the HTT speed.

Jayvon said:
Oh really why is that? Cant get atleast .20v close to .80 the max volts?
it's not good for the CPU itself to be set to too high. more voltage = more heat.

apokalipse said:
the main parts of overclocking:
CPU multiplier and HTT speed

CPU core speed = CPU multiplier x HTT speed

your CPU has a multiplier of 10

at 200 HTT speed, your CPU is 200 x 10 = 2000MHZ

increasing the HTT will increase the CPU speed.
at the same time, it also increases the RAM speed. the RAM speed equals the HTT speed.

it's not good for the CPU itself to be set to too high. more voltage = more heat.

Ohh ok.

Jayvon said:
I really appreciate it Willeh. I will read this over and over to understand it, but I am completely new to all this. So all the mhz and volts and 2x your talking about is really confusing to me lol.
lol:S you'll probably understand what I said much better if you go into bios and check out some of the options.
If anyone can confirm.. LDT multi is also known as the ht frequency?

the total Hypertransport speed from CPU to board is your HTT x LDT

socket 939 has a 1000MHZ total Hypertransport. that's 200 x 5.

Jayvon said:
So if I OC my CPU, I dont have to OC my ram right?
if you use what's called a RAM divider, you don't.

but without a RAM divider, overclocking CPU is also overclocking RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom