overclocking makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry18

Daemon Poster
ive been fiddling round with my conroe for weeks, but something weird is going on: specs: e6300 + scythe ninja, asus p5w dh deluxe, G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400, seasonic 430w psu, 250gb hdd.

anyways, i can get it to 2.8ghz 400fsb, with the ram at only 300mhz, correct me if im wronk but pc 6400 at 300 is underclocked, so if i put it at 400 it freezes after like 5 mins, but it will run at 400mhz if i donw the cpu to like 2.5, wats the deal with that, heres some screen shots, temps are fine too

heres what ive got it at, running stable
untitled-8.jpg

not stable:
untitled-10.jpg

any ideas?

Its 2 instructions per clock cycle so if it says 400mhz then it is really 800mhz. (this is stock speed for your ram) If the ram was pc3200 ddr400 it would only read 200mhz.

So that means your stable 300mhz is really 600mhz.

Make sure vdimm is set correctly based on the specs of your RAM. Most all DDR2-800 RAM needs around 2.0-2.1 vdimm, but the motherboard might not automatically set it this high.

For example, my sticks are rated DDR2-800 at 2.1vdimm. My motherboard defaults to 1.8. So I need to manually set it up in the BIOS.

Also, make sure you using the most recent BIOS for your mobo.

If that does not work, may need to think about RMA'ing the RAM :(

its set to 2v at the mo, rma it :( how long would that take i wouldnt be able to use my comp for a while:( :(

actully i got 2 sticks only one should be faulty, so i could pay around and identify the fauly one right, and if that donst fix it, then the ram must be fine, rtght?

harry18 said:
its set to 2v at the mo, rma it :( how long would that take i wouldnt be able to use my comp for a while:( :(

actully i got 2 sticks only one should be faulty, so i could pay around and identify the fauly one right, and if that donst fix it, then the ram must be fine, rtght?
Hmmm. How about if you run stock FSB with a 2:3 (FSB:RAM) divider so the RAM is at 400? Do they run OK like that?

Check out this thread:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110193

So have to flashed the BIOS to most current?

Which is right the link or what you said in your first post
G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400

Link is for G.Skill 2GB DDR2 LA PC2-5400

If its the link then that is 667mhz. so cpu z should read 333 for the stock speed.

yup, this is whats so strange, its stable with the ram at 400, and the prosessor at stock, and it runs with the mem at 300 but the prosessor at like 2.8, but then wont both run at that in a 1:1

FlashDude said:
Which is right the link or what you said in your first post
G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400

Link is for G.Skill 2GB DDR2 LA PC2-5400

If its the link then that is 667mhz. so cpu z should read 333 for the stock speed.

tis the second one down on the webpage

harry18 said:
yup, this is whats so strange, its stable with the ram at 400, and the prosessor at stock, and it runs with the mem at 300 but the prosessor at like 2.8, but then wont both run at that in a 1:1
Yeah, that is strange. Check that thread I linked to and see if anyone else is having problems running 1:1 with that board and RAM. There could be a fix.

The only other thing I can think of, all though it seems unlikely since its running fine at 400FSB with RAM at 300, is that you need more FSB/NB juice. It is worth a shot. Try upping them by about 0.1 and see if it helps stability :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom