Partitioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

massacreinfallx

Fully Optimized
Alright so i just installed windows. i diddnt create a partition because i diddnt feel the need to. so the partition is now all of the space on my hard drive. the only thing now is i want to install a version of linux. in order to dothis im going to have to partition some space. heres my question..

1) if i partition some space for linux will i have to delete my current windows partition? (all of my files) aka will i lose all of my data?

2) can you recommend some good software for partitoning my disk?

thanks.

As far as I know if you want to do everything the "Legal" way then you are either going to have to reformat and re partition your windows so you leave space for linux. Either that or buy partition magic.

There are other ways of getting partition magic though. Partition magic will let you keep your current install of windows and make unallocated space that you can use for a linux partition.

If you do decide to redo your computer then install windows first, it doesn't work if you do it the other way around and you will have to do some recovery stuff to get windows working if you do.

You will need a boot loader to be able to switch between the two, your linux kind will probably have one. I know red hat did at least.

You don't need any software other than the windows instal cd to partition the disks if you do a reformat.

1) Nope, all your Windows files will remain untouched (You might want to back up important files, though. Just in case something goes wrong)

2) Most Linux distros will have the option to partition built into the installer, or you could use Partition Magic or something.

Greg I don't think you are right, if he already has a partition with windows on it you can't just install linux onto that partition. You need to have seperate partitions for both operating systems. So unless he uses partition magic to make a new partition then he will have to do a reformat.

I realize you can't install Linux onto the same partition as Windows, I don't think I ever said that. When you install Linux you have the option to resize your Windows partition and create a partiton for Linux. There is no need to reformat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom