laptop batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingdong-man

Baseband Member
i have a laptop, ACer Travelmate 290...

some people said that the battery should be charged and used all the time. but some people said the battery should not be used, and use the AC power all the time,because it could damage the battery....

which is the right way to do it? because now i'm between that.... i use battery which is chagred all the time even when it's full....

thnx for help....

I use my laptop like a desktop most of the time, and the battery was not getting a good charge-discharge groove thang going on. I have since taken to keeping it (fully charged) in my bag until such time as I need it...

yea the people who said dont use the battery are idiots cause then u basically have a desktop. use it like u normally would, the laptop is smart enough to stop charging the battery when its full and just run off the ac to perserve the laptop battery when needed. it wont kill out the battery or anything. id just drain the battery like every month or so.

actually it is really bad to use the battery while you are plugged in to the wall. However, on a different note, never let the battery completely die. (Most computers will turn off with 5% left). Ok now so people don't just think this is only an opinion i will let you know why i said what i did.

The reason it is bad to use the battery while plugged in. Just like in every other part of a computer, HEAT kills. If you use your laptop you will notice the battery is warm. Same if you charge it. If you put those two together they can cause enough heat to damage your battery. Not in an hour but over time. You will start noticing your battery won't last as long. I know from experience.

The second thing is that you should never let your laptop battery die. That is of course if you use Li-Ion (Lithium-Ion) which is a newer technology. The reason most people (especially adults) will tell you to drain your battery is because the only practical rechargable batteries were Ni-Cads(Nickel-Cadmium) and later Ni-MH(Nickel-Metal Hydride). Ni-cads have a thing called memory effect. That is when you recharge a ni-cad battery they "remember" where they were before the charge. Ni-MH have the same effect but it is almost unnoticable. If you want to know you should drain Ni-cads and Ni-MH to about 1.1 volts per cell. Li-ions on the other hand don't have the memory effect and draining them dead will actually cause harm to them. Why do we still use Ni-Cad and Ni-MH if they are so bad you ask? Well as with all technology, even when the latest and greatest comes out, some people still tend to get what is cheaper and in this case, Ni-Cads are the cheapest, followed by Ni-MH and then Li-Ion. I'm just comparing those three. I know I left out other types (Lead-Calcium, Li-Pol, etc.) but these are the most popular in electronics.

Hope that helps.

-Aaron

yea but laptops dont keep using the battery if it is fully charged and plugged into the wall itll obviously run off the ac adpater and not the battery unless you have an incredible old laptop with like windows 95 on it or something. theres no way to use the battery while its plugged in unless your talking about charging cause in that case wed never be able to charge it.

I'm just saying that you should try to avoid charging the laptop while it is on. I'm not saying it will get overcharged. I'm saying that the heat from using it and charging it (like it wasn't charge completely when you started using it) could damage it.

hm a possibility but im sure laptop makers wouldnt overlook that im sure it wont damage it the heat gets out away from the battery anyways

have you ever held a battery after you charged it or used it rather quickly? They are hot. This has nothing to do with the processor...The battery itself gets hot. If you read any battery manual it will say to let it cool down after use before you charge it. RC's are an example. Batteries are the slowest technology in laptops right now. They aren't keeping up with the other advances in technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom