Initial computer setup, BIOS, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeler311

Solid State Member
Well I got it fixed. The motherboard was busted. I got a new one and it works just fine. My question is...I have an external, usb floppy drive and a cd rom. How do I go about getting into DOS or loading my OS? Thanks.

Jeff

PS, I want to put Linux on here. I am downloading it on this computer and will burn it to a cd. I had windows xp but I can't find my cd. Thanks.

I enabled it in the bios (USB-FDD) but when I do that, I get no video. ugh!!! I reset the cmos and it does fine. I have 6 usb ports. Does it matter which one I plug the drive into. I have a boot disk as well. Is it possible to make a boot cd and have it boot from the cd rom?

Ok, I bought an internal floppy. It posts fine. When I go into the bios and change ANYTHING, it goes back to giving me no video. It beeps and everthing just like normal. Except sometimes, I will get an alternating beep continuously. Like, "high beep, low beep, high beep, low beep, etc" I think I'm going to take it into fry's and have them run it and see what they think. Any ideas about that guys?

I tried to get it to read the cd rom drive first, no video. usb floppy, no video, the date, no video.

if it loads, then it goes to a screen and lists the drives, and at the bottom says "checksum error-defaults loaded" and stops there. I can press the del key from this screen and enter the bios. What does this mean?

EDIT

here is what is on the screen

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 processor 3000+
Memory Testing: 524288k ok
Memory Clock is: DDR 400
Channel 1 Master: EDC WD800jb-00CRA1 17.07w17
Channel 1 Slave: none
Channel 2 master: Asus cd-s520/a4 1.2
Channel 2 Slave: none

"something" checksum error-defaults loaded

I can't read what the "something" is because it is pushed off to the left of the screen. The computer is hooked up to my tv and I can't move it. I'll have to change the resolution in windows. Thanks.

Ok, got it fixed for real this time. ANOTHER bad motherboard. thanks to fry's for checking it out for me FOR FREE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom